Access denied when installing software: The file 'c:\windows\system32\msvbvm60.dll could not be opened.

Hello, I am trying to install an older analysis software tool "POMQMv4.Heizer.exe" on Windows 8. The message I receive when installing is this:

The file 'c:\windows\system32\msvbvm60.dll could not be opened. Please check that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination directory. Access is denied.

I checked that folder and found that file was not there. I went to Microsoft Download website and found the file and copied it into that folder.
I still have no luck installing that program and continue to get that message. I contacted the program author and he told me just to install the dll file but that doesn't work. This software is old and not updated for windows 8 even though it works on Windows 7 and earlier.
I have run as administrator as well and doesn't help.
BTW Running in windows compatibility mode did not help - same as right clicking troubleshoot compatibility and starting the installation, but I still received the same message.

Any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2019 Views 3,482 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hello,
Thank you for your response. After further searching I have found the solution from this website: http://www.walkernews.net/2012/10/20/how-to-fix-windows-8-comdlg32-ocx-file-missing-error/#comment-18336.
To make the 32bit software usable, the visual basic 6 files needed to be copied to windows 8 and registered into the correct folder which is not windows\system32 but windows\system or Windows\SysWOW64.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.