4GB RAM on 32-bits WINDOWS 8

Hi guys I'm here for 2 sample questions.

1. Microsoft says Windows 8 could use as maximum of ram 4GB on 32-bit, but O.S. only recognize 3GB; WHY?
[I know if I want to use 4GB I need install the 64-bits version of windows 8.]

2. Whatever be your answer, is recommended the use of 4GB  on 32-bit of OS? If your answer is NOT please explain me.

--------

I'm doing these question because I don't understand what's the difference between 32 and 64 bits. I only know the maximum of RAM you can use between each one, and some programs only work with x86 architecture and others with x64 like a servers ,who's use a lot of RAM.

--------

Answer
Answer

Hi Eduardo,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting the question. I see that you want to know the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit version of Windows. Let me help you with the issue.

I would like to let you know that the main difference between the 32-bit versions of Windows and the 64-bit versions of Windows relate to memory accessibility, memory management, and enhanced security features.

The terms 32-bit and 64-bit refer to the way a computer's processor (also called a CPU), handles information. The 64-bit version of Windows handles large amounts of random access memory (RAM) more effectively than a 32-bit system.

If you're using a 32-bit version of Windows, the amount of usable memory might be less than the total amount of memory installed. PAE enables 32-bit processors to access more than 4 GB of physical memory on capable versions of Windows and is a prerequisite for NX.

Refer to these articles to know more.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/system-requirements

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2

I hope the above step helps. If you need further assistance on this particular issue or any other Windows related issue let us know and we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 2, 2019 Views 5,546 Applies to: