100% disk usage when opening Windows Media Player

Ever since around April or May, I've had the recurring issue in which my disk usage would shoot up to 99% or 100% without anything occurring to really cause it to do so. I tried many of the solutions in order to fix this, and it seemed that Firefox was related to the problem. Whenever I would open it, it would go up, and when I would close it, it would go down. At that point, I was never able to pin down the root cause exactly, but not opening FF would prevent the problem, so I just never did.

A few weeks ago, the problem began to reappear, this time without Firefox causing the problem. It varies in severity, sometimes it will only hang for a minute, sometimes for extended periods of time, up to where my computer will be completely immobilized. I've tried a variety of solutions to fix this, such as:

- Increasing virtual memory

- Disabling Superfetch, Windows Update, and Windows Search

- Using CCleaner to clean the registry

- Refreshing the PC

- Manually updating Windows (which I just did recently, over 1GB updates missed)

While it seems that updating Windows improved performance, the problem still occurs. In general, it seems the problem doesn't happen now unless I open Windows Media Player. Earlier, the problem would definitely happen when I opened WMP, but it could also just randomly happen. The computer will run just fine, but when I open WMP, the Disk Usage will go straight up to 100%, sometimes staying there until I close it, or sometimes will go down on it's own. It's completely random. When I look in Resource Monitor, nothing special seems to appear while this happens. Occasionally a file related to WMP will appear, and also the Page File, but a majority of the time it is still just files that appear prior to the huge spike. I have already un and reinstalled WMP, but that did not seem to help. 

I cannot for the life of me figure out what to do to fix this. It's incredibly annoying, and occasionally making my computer unusable is a huge obstacle.  I would also really like to use WMP again, as I have yet to discover another media player that I like as much. Plus, if the problem is not fixed, I know within a few months it will just be some other program that will cause this problem. 

Answer
Answer

Jhcr4d

Doesnt appear you were having the problem when this trace was run.  There was only 3-4 times for the briefest of seconds Chrome maxed out disk use.  Chrome is the largest HD use process.

If you were not having the %100 HD at the time of the trace please run a trace when you are

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 15, 2024 Views 1,535 Applies to: