Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or a service that it depends on has failed to start. (Windows 8)

A problem has appeared recently in which I can not stream my music from WMP to other home group devices such as my Xbox 360. It has always worked fine and this is the first time it has occurred. When I tried to connect to my PC from the Xbox, my PC appeared on the list but when it would not connect for some reason. I then went to my PC to make sure everything was in order. I opened Windows Media Player and looked at the streaming options. Everything looked in order except that media streaming from my computer was not turned on for some reason. I clicked on "turn media streaming on" and it brought me to the Control Panel page for the option. It simply read "Media streaming is not turned on" (along with the normal precautions and what not). I clicked the button below "Turn media streaming on". This is where my problem appears. My computer loads and nothing happens. I tried a few more times and it then tells me what the question title says. It then prompts me to go to the administrator service tools. So I did so and I went through the list of services until I found the one entitled "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service". It was not running although it should be on automatically. I clicked on it and hit start and it states "Windows can not start the service on Local Computer" with Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

If anyone has any solutions I would greatly appreciate it. I tried to be as thorough as I could in the description.

Question Info

Last updated December 15, 2018 Views 20,970 Applies to:
Answer
I had this problem as well, with Widows 8.1.  Under the dependencies tab I had two items, HTTP Service and Windows Search. I found that Windows Search was disabled.  I have no idea how that happened, but enabling it fixed the problem.

109 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.