Windows Firewall not playing well with Homegroups

Hi,
I have a Windows 8 Pro with Media Center running on my laptop and I have a desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have created a homegroup to share media but it doesn't seem to play nice with each other. I always have problems with connecting and maintaining a stable connection between the PCs. Power Cycling the router or starting the Homegroup/Network troubleshooter usually solves the problem. The problem became less recurrent when I allowed all connections through the Windows Firewall on my home network but I am using AVIRA Internet Security. The problem predated the install of AVIRA.

My other PCs which are still running Windows 7 have no problems access the homegroup and the shared items including devices. However, the Windows 8 laptop cannot detect the shared printer unless I access it via the network group outside the homegroup.

Hi Nur JeevanGuna Segar,

I understand that you are facing issues with the home group on the Windows 8 computer.

1.       Do you receive any error message or error code?

2.       On which computer have you created a homegroup network?

3.       Is there any security software installed on the computer?

Let’s try the homegroup troubleshooter for Windows 8 and check if it helps.

You can follow the methods:

Method 1: You can refer to the link to run the homegroup troubleshooter to troubleshoot problems with homegroup:

HomeGroup problems in Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/homegroup-problems-in-windows

Method 2: I would suggest you to refer to the link to troubleshoot the issue further as the laptop is not able to connect to the computer within the home group.

Why can't I connect to other PCs?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/cant-connect-other-pcs

Method 3: I would suggest you to temporarily disable any security software installed on the computer and check if it helps.

Important Note: Security software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

For reference, you can refer to the link:

HomeGroup from start to finish

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/homegroup-from-start-to-finish

Hope it helps.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any other Windows related issue and we would be glad to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

There is no error reported. It returns an "No errors detected". But the problem still persists.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Nur,

Follow these steps:
Try booting the computer in safe mode with networking and perform a clean boot.

Step 1: Perform Safe Mode with networking

Click the link and follow the steps “Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode with networking)”

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Check if you face the same issue in safe mode. If the issue doesn’t persists in safe mode, the place the computer in clean boot and check.

Step 2: Perform Clean Boot.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: Reset the computer to start as usual.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.
d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.
You can also refer to the article for more information.
Wired and wireless network problems

Post back with the results and we will be happy to help you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I use AVIRA Internet Security but it's set to allow the networking protocols for Windows and the .NET framework through. 

I've tried the methods mentioned with no success. The Homegroup is set on the Win7 pc and before that the win8 pc

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 26, 2018 Views 507 Applies to: