Windows 8 Upgrade. IE 10 works in Metro but does not work at the Desktop level. Error - This page cannot be displayed.

After upgrading from Windows 7 Home to Windows 8, the IE browser does not display webpages. Error this page cannot be displayed.  The IE Browser at the Metro Level works fine. However all of the previous bookmarks are stored at the [Desktp]browser level. Attemps to install programs such as Temviewer or LogmeIn result in a proxy error.  There is no proxy in use since this is home based system. Various Windows 8 threads show that several folks are having problems with one browser either Metro or Desktop IE not functioning.  Also all of the various method of running an internet connection repair and resetting the Internet Properties to default have been implemented. Metro - IE 10 works as both with Admin level logins as well as E-Mail based logins. Desktop - IE 10 doesn't work under any login. The browser opens to "this page cannot be displayed" error.

Once again

Metro Level IE 10      - Functional

Metro Level e-mail    - Functional

Desktop Level IE 10  - FAIL  browser opens to "This page cannot be displayed."

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 2,098 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

First try to run a System File Checker,

in command prompt type     Sfc/scannow

this will check to make sure the installation does not have any damaged/missing files.

Second, verify that your antivirus is not the cause, some antivirus programs have been known to do this.

try disabling the antivirus and trying again. if this does not work, try a clean boot with the operating system, by typing Msconfig in the start screen. This brings the System configuration window up. From there, select Boot, the tab beside General. Checkmark Safeboot, then select Network instead of Minimal.
Hit apply, and then restart the system. Please notify us if this resolution works, additionally please advise what antivirus you are currently using.

*To undo the configuration, you need to re-open msconfig and uncheck safeboot and hit apply. This will allow you to boot into the standard GUI again.**

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Devin,

Thank you you for your assistance. I tried the scannow option and the the scan passed. The problem is the the previous Anti-Virus program [Bell Internet Security Services].  I followed the Windows 8 instructions and uninstalled the AV prior to upgrading however the program left components behind -- http://support.bell.ca/internet/security/bell-internet-security-services-general-troubleshooting?step=13. Bell Support is aware of the issue and this will effect users that upgrade to Windows 8. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Also the Bell Internet Security Services program is a mishmash of older security apps provided by Bell [Canada].  It is actually older versions of

1. AV= Kaspersky
2. ASpy= BitDefender
3. Active shield= AVG
4. Firewall=??

I will try focusing on threads with solutions to internet connectivity and Kapersky.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I am having the same issue after upgrading to windows 8, i used to have microsoft security essentials as anti-virus. 

I have tried "Sfc/scannow" and safe reboot, and did not found any issues while scanning and while i am in safeboot my IE was working and after i came back to GUI i am having the same issue. Please suggest me further steps.

thanks
santosh

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Having Similar issues tried all above no change

pls suggest

Sorry this didn't help.

I did a system refresh which removed most of third party apps including OEM (lenovo in my case) installed but no issues after the refresh with any apps and IE is blazing fast. I have to pity chrome now  :) 
Also all of your data will be gone and will take around an hr for this operation.

Regards
(santu0047)

Sorry this didn't help.

I too am having the same problem with the page not refreshing or showing content.  I did all the steps that everyone else did with no luck.

My problem is when I go into Dell support and ti hs multiple tabs in the page itself and will not auto refresh when you select a different tab.  So I a manually refresh it but the content does not show

IE10 metro works just fine and I am using Norton for AV.

Isn't there a better way we can troubleshoot this?

thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Santu0047,  I believe the problem is rooted in the user's Anti-Virus/Firewall. Prior to installing,  the Windows 8 Upgrade Advisor suggested removing the AV which I did, but I think some components were left behind. Even though the AV was uninstalled there were still system icons left in the [Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Notification Area Icons] section.  Also the Bell Internet Security Services program which uses a cocktail of 3rd party programs  1. AV= Kaspersky & 2. ASpy= BitDefender,3. Active shield= AVG, 4. Firewall=??? doesn't have a very good uninstall. The Bell support web page had six additional uninstall programs for the removal process. In any event since you own the Norton AV, just make sure you still have the install files and key and uninstall the AV and test from that perspective. I had a ghost image and ended rolling back to Windows 7.  I love Windows 8, luckily I have multple PCs and the upgrade process was successful because those PCs never used Bell Internet Security Services.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having same problem. Dell XPS 8300. Upgraded to Windows 8 Pro over Win 7. Using ESet antivirus. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I also upgraded to Win 8 over Win 7 and I stopped Norton AV but still have the problem of the page not refreshing

I have an Alienware m17x

Sorry this didn't help.