Windows 8 unable to connect to wifi

I just bought a new Acer ultrabook m5 laptop Windows 8 from Best Buy last week and since i got it i have had trouble connecting to my wifi. I can see my network but when i try to connect it shows an error. The network works perfectly fine however and i know this because i am able to connect to it on my other windows 7 laptop. Sometimes, i push the refresh button on my linksys router and the laptop will connect to the network, but after a couple of minutes, it will disconnect. Again, i know there's nothing wrong with the network because it works great on my other wireless devices. I have already updated the driver via an ethernet cable and the network adapter is on. It's not set on airplane mode or anything like that. I spoke to an Acer technician on the phone and he advised me to "refresh" my laptop (didn't work).

Just yesterday i went to Best Buy to return it but i spoke with a Geek Squad technician there and he was able to connect to Best Buy's wifi just fine (made me look kinda dumb lol). I told him that i have several devices connected to my home network. 1 laptop, 5 phones, 1 ps3, 1 wii, 1 nintendo 3ds, 1 ipod. He told me that i may have too many devices connected to the network and that is why it won't connect sometimes. I got home and disconnected my ps3, wii, and several phones from the network. My acer laptop connected to the network but again after several minutes it disconnected.

My linksys router does not have any password on it. Also after it disconnects from the network, it will not connect anymore. If it's connected and i put it on sleep mode, it will disconnect and not connect anymore.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
|
Hi Gehernandez,

Thank you for choosing Windows 8 and welcome to Microsoft Community Forums.

Based on the description provided, the computer has a difficulty in staying connected to the Wi-Fi network.

You might be facing the issue due to several reasons like network adapter issues, driver issues, hardware or software issues.

Method 1:
Network Troubleshooter

An automated troubleshooter is a tool that can find and automatically fix some problems with your computer. These troubleshooters aren't designed to fix every problem, but they're a useful tool to try because they can often save you time and effort.
Follow the steps to run the Network troubleshooter:
a. Press Windows key + C on your keyboard to show the Charms bar.
b. Type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting under Settings.
c. Now type Network Troubleshooter in the search option.
d. Click on Network troubleshooter to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to go through the links and follow the steps given. Here is the links for your reference.

Wired and wireless network problems

Fix network adapter problems:

Why can’t I connect to a network?:

Hope it helps.

If the issue with wireless network connection persists or if you face any Windows issues in future, let us know and we would be glad to assist you.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have been having this issue for the past month on my new laptop that has Windows * on it and also on my smart phone. I finally resolved my issue, after exhausting the instructions above. I knew that the problem was not with my router since my husbands IPhone and his laptop with Windows Vista had not had the issues that I was experiencing. 

I finally gave up and did an uninstall of my wireless adapter and then shutdown my laptop and brought it back up. Once it loaded completely I was able to connect without any issues. I am now happy that I didn't give up and tried something that I learned a long time ago. I am also able to connect with my smart phone, I can't explain this one since I never did anything to it. Eitherway, I am now back up and running. 

Maybe this may be helpful for anyone else that is experiencing wireless connection problems with Windows 8.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since you cannot right click on anything in Windows 8 or Windows Surface, I have tried, not with a mouse, not with a held finger on an icon, not with anything I have seen in the Microsoft forums, there is no way to delete a bad WiFi profile so uninstalling the adapter is probably the only way to get a chance to re-do or change the settings for a WiFi hotspot etc.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE Microsoft. GIVE ME BACK THE "MANAGE WIFI" option so that I can manually delete the WiFi profile using COMMON SENSE key/mouse strokes.

I had two users come to me today, one with a Surface Tablet, one with a VIO notebook. Both had incorrectly setup the WiFi connection for our school. NOTHING I did worked. ALL the methods given in the Microsoft help forums DID NOT WORK, simply because I culd NEVER get the "option" to appear. No matter how I touched the WiFi icon I could NOT get the "right click" menu where Microsoft say's I can delete the WiFi profile so as to be able to re-do it. Even with a mouse attached I could not get the menu of options to appear. What is wrong with Microsoft?????????/ Why can't you all get this simple thing right???? Why can't you just give me a simple icon in Control panel, get rid of the Metro, IT SUCKS AND IS JUST A MINI MONOPOLY OF THE MICROSOFT STORE LOOKING FOR VICTUMS, that I can click on that will show me all the WiFi profiles I have so that I can EASLY delete the ones that are broken or no longer needed etc. What is wrong with that? The Win 7 system was not broke and DID NOT need to be reinvented. Touch screen options could have been added, the desktop keept, no need for the junky Metro etc. DUH

I need a CANNOT fail method that does not rely on broken "swipe" features, or non working "right click" options so that I as an IT pro with 30 years of experience can support these Win 8 based monsters.

Any suggestions would be welcomed,

Thanks,
Ralph

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since you cannot right click on anything in Windows 8 or Windows Surface, I have tried, not with a mouse, not with a held finger on an icon, not with anything I have seen in the Microsoft forums, there is no way to delete a bad WiFi profile so uninstalling the adapter is probably the only way to get a chance to re-do or change the settings for a WiFi hotspot etc.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE Microsoft. GIVE ME BACK THE "MANAGE WIFI" option so that I can manually delete the WiFi profile using COMMON SENSE key/mouse strokes.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/manage-wireless-network-profiles

Task
Instructions

Delete a profile

At the command prompt, type:

netsh wlan delete profile name="ProfileName"

this shows you that features were not gone and a google search can help you find them again

but I do agree that microsoft buried features in windows 8 in a way that is substantially less useful then what it was in the past,

windows 8 is young, and as such will take it's time before it is trivial knowledge, the needed one to solve such problems.

designing it like this will define this period of time to be much longer then it had to be for users all around the world.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

anyways I also have this issue.

at first I noticed that I have less options in the wifi connection possible encryption list

but I changed my router from WPA-PSK to WPA/WPA2 -PSK mixed mode

so now it should support my windows 8 box connecting since it has now WPA2 (which is the only encryption option that exists both on my windows 8 box and the router)

but this did not solve the issue,

in fact the only way my windows 8 could ever connect to anything, is to my droid when I set it to wifi hotspot mode and I surf on my 3g-data-plan.

this is very frustrating.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can someone please explain step by step how to uninstall wireless adapter on Windows 8 

as suggested by DebbieRossow

Is it:

Control Panel > Uninstall or change a program > Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software....

next I get a wizard which gives me 3 options - Change, Repair or Remove.

Am I in the correct place?

Thanks!

....Ok so I chose the 'Repair' option and my WiFi is working!

What a nightmare Windows 8 can be!

Thanks to DebbieRossow and others on the forums who help us amateurs through the Windows 8 mud!!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i have problems to connect my laptop with public network via wifi. wifi of my laptop not going to on.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have Microsoft Lumia 535 sometimes its wifi does not get connected due to which I had reset my phone 2times pls help me what should I do

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2021 Views 40,004 Applies to: