Windows 8 Pro Refuses to Connect to Network after resuming (Code 45)

Alright, this is complicated. Allow me to get it all out there.

Whenever I resume my laptop (from sleep or completely off), and the last time I used it was within an hour or so, it says that it can't connect to a network. When I first upgraded to Win8, this was not a problem. It has been one for about 2 weeks though (suddenly, for no apparent reason), and is highly frustrating. What I normally do when this happens is go to device manager, and make it show all devices (when the problem is occurring, my Wi-Fi thing won't show up normally, when its fine, it will) I then try to update the driver (it always tells me its up-to-date) and scan for hardware changes. This works, sometimes. Not usually. If that doesn't work, doing a restart and then doing the same procedure (after waiting about 5 minutes doing nothing) almost always works. The only surefire way to fix it (temporarily) that I've figured out is leaving my laptop off, waiting about 2 hours, then opening it up again, and it works without any other input of mine. When I go the properties for the device, it says Code 45, "this hardware device is not connected to the computer." When I use the troubleshooter, it says there might be something wrong with the Ethernet Adapter (there is, but I don't care about that at all, and I'm fairly certain it's completely unrelated. When I use an Ethernet, it comes up as limited, so it can't connect to the internet.) It's definitely not like, knocked out of place or anything, guaranteed. It just thinks its not there.

http://imgur.com/a/qpzVT <----Album with those damned problems. (I've since switched from Wifi-Link 1000 BGN to "Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000" but the exact same problem still happens.

Thanks for reading and trying to comprehend this. Thanks in advance for answering, and if you manage to help me in the slightest to fix it I will run to your house and deliver you a cookie. I promise.

Tell me what to do. I will do it. I will provide you basically anything. I'm just mostly clueless.

Hi Relax,

Thanks for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing an issue with internet connectivity. I can imagine how frustrating it would be. I would recommend you few steps to help resolving the issue:

Uninstall and Reinstall Network drivers:

Step 1: Uninstall Network drivers;

a. Press Windows + X, Click Device Manager.

b. Expand Network Adapters.

c. Check if the name of the graphic card is the list.

d. Right click on the Network Adapter’s name and click uninstall.

Step 2: Reinstall Network drivers:

Please download the drivers the driver Manufacturer’s website and reinstall the drivers.

I would request you to refer to these links:

You can also refer to this links:

a) Why can’t I connect to a network?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/cant-connect-to-a-network

b) Wired and wireless network problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Hope it helps, if you have any query related to Windows feel free to post. I will be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Relax,

I understand that you are facing an issue with internet connectivity. I can imagine how frustrating it would be. I would recommend you few steps to help resolving the issue:

Please download the drivers the driver Manufacturer’s website and reinstall the drivers.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Hope it helps, if you have any query related to Windows feel free to post. I will be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards!

Thanks for the reply.

As you might have imagined I've tried re-installing them approximately 35 billion times to no avail.

You appear to be missing a link or two (you say "I would request you to refer to these links," but it is not followed by anything.)

The other two links appear to not exist anymore. I have internet atm and everything but those pages work. (I would guess you took those links from some kind of email service?) EDIT: Nvm, one sec. I was too used to opening in new tab that I didn;t think of just copying and pasting. :)

Thanks again,

RelaxZen

EDIT: I tried the change power settings thing. I'm gonna test it out a bit and report back.

EDIT 2: Nope, nothing worked.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Relax,

Thanks & Regards!

Thanks for the reply.

As you might have imagined I've tried re-installing them approximately 35 billion times to no avail.

You appear to be missing a link or two (you say "I would request you to refer to these links," but it is not followed by anything.)

The other two links appear to not exist anymore. I have internet atm and everything but those pages work. (I would guess you took those links from some kind of email service?) EDIT: Nvm, one sec. I was too used to opening in new tab that I didn;t think of just copying and pasting. :)

Thanks again,

RelaxZen

EDIT: I tried the change power settings thing. I'm gonna test it out a bit and report back.

EDIT 2: Nope, nothing worked.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Relax,

Thanks for reverting back regarding the issue. I can understand the inconvenience caused to you because of this issue. Let`s perform some more troubleshooting and check if that helps. I will also provide you the exact and complete description of the error caused.

Code 45: Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

Recommended resolution:

This error occurs if a device that was previously connected to the computer is no longer connected. To resolve this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

No resolution is necessary. This error code is only used to indicate the disconnected status of the device and does not require you to resolve it. The error code resolves automatically when you connect the associated device to the computer.

The following information is for the advanced user.

If Device Manager is started with the environment variable

DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES set to 1 (which means show these devices), any previously attached (NONPRESENT) devices are displayed in the device list and assigned this error code.

What is (error code 45)?

The 45 error is the numerical value of the error occurred. The error number is one of the value to identify the error. It holds information about the error, the possible cause of the error, the action that caused the error. Error numbers was used to address the errors in the common error code format used by windows and other windows compatible software and driver vendors.

This 45 error code is used by the vendor to identify the error caused. This 45 error code has a hexadecimal number and a technical description linked to it. In some cases the error may have more parameters in hexadecimal format which represents the memory locations where the instruction(s) was loaded at the time of the error. The system.ini file contains the listing of error codes used in Windows operating system and supporting software and drivers..

What causes error 45?

The 45 error may be caused by windows system files damage. The corrupted windows system files entries can be a real threat to the well being of your computer.

There can be many events which may have resulted in the system files errors. An incomplete installation, an incomplete uninstall, improper deletion of applications or hardware. It can also be caused if your computer is recovered from a virus or adware/spyware attack or by an improper shutdown of the computer. All the above actives may result in the deletion or corruption of the entries in the windows registry. This corrupted registry will lead to the missing and wrongly linked information and files needed for the proper working of the application.

I would suggest you to first remove the device and connect again and check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, then follow the steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Run the hardware troubleshooter

a. Move the mouse to the top right hand corner and click on search

b. Type control panel and hit enter

c. If the icons are not displayed in large size, click on category which is above the list and select large icons

d. Now click on troubleshooting

e. Click on Hardware and sound and click on Find and fix problems with devices and hardware and proceed further.

Method 2: Update the driver

b. Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter

c. Now locate the device, right click on it and click update.

Refer to the following revised links:

1) Why can’t I connect to a network?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/cant-connect-to-a-network

2) Wired and wireless network problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Method 3: Perform System Restore

Refer to the link: How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Hope it helps, if you still have any query related to Windows, feel free to post. I will be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Relax,

Thanks for reverting back regarding the issue. I can understand the inconvenience caused to you because of this issue. Let`s perform some more troubleshooting and check if that helps. I will also provide you the exact and complete description of the error caused.

Code 45: Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

Recommended resolution:

This error occurs if a device that was previously connected to the computer is no longer connected. To resolve this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

No resolution is necessary. This error code is only used to indicate the disconnected status of the device and does not require you to resolve it. The error code resolves automatically when you connect the associated device to the computer.

The following information is for the advanced user.

If Device Manager is started with the environment variable

DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES set to 1 (which means show these devices), any previously attached (NONPRESENT) devices are displayed in the device list and assigned this error code.

What is (error code 45)?

The 45 error is the numerical value of the error occurred. The error number is one of the value to identify the error. It holds information about the error, the possible cause of the error, the action that caused the error. Error numbers was used to address the errors in the common error code format used by windows and other windows compatible software and driver vendors.

This 45 error code is used by the vendor to identify the error caused. This 45 error code has a hexadecimal number and a technical description linked to it. In some cases the error may have more parameters in hexadecimal format which represents the memory locations where the instruction(s) was loaded at the time of the error. The system.ini file contains the listing of error codes used in Windows operating system and supporting software and drivers..

What causes error 45?

The 45 error may be caused by windows system files damage. The corrupted windows system files entries can be a real threat to the well being of your computer.

There can be many events which may have resulted in the system files errors. An incomplete installation, an incomplete uninstall, improper deletion of applications or hardware. It can also be caused if your computer is recovered from a virus or adware/spyware attack or by an improper shutdown of the computer. All the above actives may result in the deletion or corruption of the entries in the windows registry. This corrupted registry will lead to the missing and wrongly linked information and files needed for the proper working of the application.

I would suggest you to first remove the device and connect again and check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, then follow the steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Run the hardware troubleshooter

b. Type control panel and hit enter

c. If the icons are not displayed in large size, click on category which is above the list and select large icons

d. Now click on troubleshooting

e. Click on Hardware and sound and click on Find and fix problems with devices and hardware and proceed further.

Method 2: Update the driver

b. Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter

c. Now locate the device, right click on it and click update.

Refer to the following revised links:

1) Why can’t I connect to a network?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/cant-connect-to-a-network

2) Wired and wireless network problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Method 3: Perform System Restore

Refer to the link: How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Hope it helps, if you still have any query related to Windows, feel free to post. I will be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards!

...You gave me the same links and told me to use troubleshooters and the device manager. Even though I've told you I've tried them about 1,000 times each. Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I am sorry for the inconvenience that you facing with Widows 8 Operating System. I really appreciate the efforts, which you have applied till now.

Let’s try a few steps apart from what Anshul Khanna is provided from the previous post.

I would suggest you to disable IPV6 and check, follow these below steps:

a.        Press Windows Key + X key and click Control Panel.

b.       Select the option Network & Sharing Center > Change adapter settings (in the left pane).

c.         Right-click on the connection you‘re using > Properties > Networking Tab.

d.        Now remove the tick from the IPv6 box.

e.       If it makes no difference, it is completely reversible by ticking the box.

If the issue still persists, try resetting TCP/IP and check if it helps.

a. Press Windows key + X, Select Command Prompt (Admin) and then press ENTER.

b. At the command prompt, type the following command and then press ENTER:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Note: If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

c. Reboot the computer.

Try updating the chipset drives from the manufactures’ website and check.

Keep us posted on the status of the issue.

If you face any more issues while working with Windows do post on Microsoft Community Forums
and we will be glad to help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I am sorry for the inconvenience that you facing with Widows 8 Operating System. I really appreciate the efforts, which you have applied till now.

Let’s try a few steps apart from what Anshul Khanna is provided from the previous post.

I would suggest you to disable IPV6 and check, follow these below steps:

a.        Press Windows Key + X key and click Control Panel.

b.       Select the option Network & Sharing Center > Change adapter settings (in the left pane).

c.         Right-click on the connection you‘re using > Properties > Networking Tab.

d.        Now remove the tick from the IPv6 box.

e.       If it makes no difference, it is completely reversible by ticking the box.

If the issue still persists, try resetting TCP/IP and check if it helps.

a. Press Windows key + X, Select Command Prompt (Admin) and then press ENTER.

b. At the command prompt, type the following command and then press ENTER:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Note: If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

c. Reboot the computer.

Try updating the chipset drives from the manufactures’ website and check.

Keep us posted on the status of the issue.

If you face any more issues while working with Windows do post on Microsoft Community Forums
and we will be glad to help.

It appears that the more I boot my computer up, the more easily it gets messed up and won't detect the driver (or whatever). Conversely, when I leave my computer alone for a while, I can go on multiple subsequent start-ups without any problem. In this way I've managed to push the problem away and I haven't actually experienced it in about 2 days, but I do believe that if I were to provoke it, it would come back. (I've tested it) ... (Also this is probably one of the weirdest problems ever)

EDIT: Nope, didn't work. I tried the first thing, the network adapter doesn't even show up. (While the problem is ongoing, when it's not, it's there and fine.)
Second thing didn't do anything.

Any more suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.

Will your laptop connect via a friend's or relative's wireless router to the Internet?

From a complete shutdown, and restarting in "Safe Mode with Networking", will it connect (you might have to manually connect to the wireless router while in Safe Mode?

How to start Windows 8 in Safe Mode
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-windows-8-in-safe-mode/

Is this machine under warranty?  Is there possibly a hardware fault preventing the connection to the Internet?  Have you spoken to the manufacturer about your problem? 

What is the make and model Laptop?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 995 Applies to: