Windows 8 PC and Laptop cant connect to wireless

I have a wireless router (CT 5374) and a number of devices that can connect wirelessly to it (WII, IPOD, IPHONE, IPAD, BLU RAY Player, Desktop, Laptop).  A couple of days ago, the laptop and desktop that are running windows 8 stopped being able to connect to the wireless while every other device is connecting fine.  

Tried all the basics, of rebooting the router, forgetting the network and adding it again, making sure i am current on windows updates, etc..  No luck.  

Both devices connect fine when a hardwire to the router with an ethernet cable.  

Any thoughts? Was there a recent update that caused Windows8 wireless connectivity problems?

thanks!
Answer
Answer

Hi Smoke,

Thanks for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forums.

As I understand you are unable to access wireless internet connection, here are few troubleshooting steps that should help you resolve this issue. Please answer:

Q1: What is the exact make and model of your Wireless router?

Q2: What is the make and model of both the computers?

Q3: Are the devices in the same workgroup?

Q4: Are they in home network?

This issue could be caused due to a conflict if any third party security software is installed.

Troubleshooting:

Method 1: Disable third-party Security Software.

a) On your Computer screen Task Bar next to System Clock..

b) You will see the third-party Security Software Icon.

c) Click on the third-party Security Software Icon, you will see a pop up.

d) In that pop and select the option to disable, click on it.

Now the third-party Security Software will be disabled.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 2: Run Homegroup Troubleshooter:

Refer to the link:

HomeGroup problems in Windows.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/homegroup-problems-in-windows

Hope it helps resolving the issue of connecting to wireless router, if you have any query related to Windows or the issue still persist feel free to post. I will be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 251 Applies to: