windows 8 network map (graphical layout) is missing, was on WIndows 7

Hi

I think I already know the answer to this & it has been asked before by others with no positive response but thought i would try again.

Is there somewhere hidden the ability to view the chart type layout of the the network that you use to be able to simply do under windows 7

In Windows 7 you could see under Network & Sharing center Basic Network info and then click "View Network Map" or similar
and it gave an overview of your devices, routers etc.

Windows 8 this has gone, even the Basic info seems lacking ,nothing now about Private, Public, work etc (I guess this is somehere but don't need at moment so not going looking) but just seems poor.

Anyway this feature was very useful, especially as I often set my network up, change routers, new equipment etc. and when you add a new router if it is not set to DHCP auto (which I always switch off as they are always a AP) you cannot see what the router IP is, usually on a different ip range and often not standard. Sound like a rarely used feature but I frequently need this, especially factory resets etc.

Why on earth would they remove this feature!!

I am so fed up with "new improved" software/hardware taking away features that were so useful and adding stuff that is pointless. Things you thought you could do in a few minutes & always could, suddenly take so much longer, thats progress for you

Rant over,

But does anyone have any ideas?

Answer
Answer
Hi,
Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.
We will try to help you with this.

As per the issue description, we would like to tell you that Network Map function was in the "Network & Sharing Center" of Windows 7. It is no longer is part of Windows 8.

In Windows 8
a. Open 'File Explorer"
b. Left click 'Network' (shows devices connected to the network)
c. Then right click 'Network' & you will be given the choice to 'Map Network drive' and other options.

Refer the link below for assistance:

Hope this answers your query. You can write back to us for further queries/issues related to windows and we will be glad to assist you further.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 12, 2024 Views 9,979 Applies to: