Windows 8 machine cannot connect to windows 7 home group after the password is entered.

I made a home group on a 7 machine, my new 8 machine sees the home group. I enter the password to join. It makes a progress bar for a while but then says it no longer sees the home group. This was tried with the firewall disabled also. The time is also synched.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

From your issue description, I understand that the computer running on Windows 8 is unable to join homegroup with computer running Windows 7.

Let’s start with some questions.
1. What is the security software installed on the computer?
2. Have you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

Let us now perform some troubleshooting steps like Homegroup troubleshooter, clean boot etc.

All the steps are to be performed systematically and in an order.

Method 1: Follow these steps:

Step 1: Boot the computer in Safe mode with networking and check if the issue persists. Follow these steps to start the computer in safe mode.
a) Press the ‘Windows + C’ key on the keyboard.
b) Click on settings, change pc settings and then general.
c) Scroll down to advanced startup, click restart now.
d) Click on troubleshoot, advanced options, Startup Settings.
e) Click restart, select safe mode and then press enter.
Note: Restart the computer to start in normal mode.

Step 2: If the issue does not persist in safe mode with networking, perform a Clean Boot to see if there is any software conflict as clean boot helps to eliminate software conflicts.
Perform a clean boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts. Follow these steps given in the link below to start the computer in clean boot.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Note: After performing clean boot refer to the article How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot to boot to normal mode.

Method 2:
Run Home group Troubleshooter
Follow these steps to run Home group Troubleshooter.
a. Press Windows key + W and type troubleshooting.
b. Select troubleshooting.
c. Select View all on the top left corner.
d. Run Home group troubleshooter.

Method 3:
I would suggest you to go through the linkS and follow the steps given to troubleshoot the issue. Here are the link for your reference.
HomeGroup problems in Windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/homegroup-problems-in-windows

For further reference follow this link also.
HomeGroup from start to finish
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/homegroup-from-start-to-finish

Hope the information helps.

Do get back to us and let us know the status of the issue or if you have any other queries pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the Detailed and Thorough reply, to answer a few or your questions the host of the home group is running eset 5 for the anti virus and the new machine runs eset 6.

I have run home group trouble shooting on both machines

I will run the other procedures you suggested later this week as time allows and let you know what happened

I have never needed to network so this is the first time trying to tie the computers together, if I can get this one to work I will add a xp machine also 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 4, 2019 Views 145 Applies to: