Windows 8 and windows 7 file sharing access

\\shaun\ is my windows 8 pro 64 machine
\\media_server\ is my windows 7 ultimate 64 machine

\\shaun\h is a hard drive I have shared on the windows 8 machine. Entire drive is set for sharing - everyone, full access
\\media_server\e is a hard drive I have shared on the windows 7 machine. Entire drive is set for sharing - everyone, full access

I have 2 computers on my network. One is going to be a media server and the other is going to be my work station. I have setup a work group named Shaun on both machines. Both machines have network discover on, file and printer sharing on, and password protected off. Both machines are setup with same username and password. From \\media_server\ i can see, map, and fully access \\shaun\h. From \\shaun\ I can see \\media_server\e and map the drive. However, when I try to access the drive on \\media_server\e it gives me the "you don't have permission to access this drive. So why can the windows 7 PC read and write as intended, but the windows 8 pc can only read and write the shared public drive from windows 7. 

All sharing is on and set for everyone. All drives are set to share except operating system drive.

I am at a total loss at this point. I need this to work using work groups for my xbmc to play nice.

Thanks in advance

Question Info

Last updated January 15, 2019 Views 7,280 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Shaun,

Assuming the actual message you get is "You do not have permissions to access \\media_server\e. Contact your network administrator to request access." I suspect your Windows 7 share (\\media_server\e) doesn't have the appropriate file permissions set.

For security reasons you do not only have to set up sharing permissions but also file permissions sometimes - this depends upon what you share and honestly I don't remember all the rules.

To fix your problem I would suggest

1. In Windows Explorer right-click on the folder that represents \\media_server\e
  2. Choose Properties and go to the Security tab
    Under Group or User names you probably don't have "Everyone"
  3. Click the Edit... / Add... / Advanced... then Find now buttons
  4. In the Search results list double-click on "Everyone" then click OK
  5. In the Group or User names click on "Everyone" and set the desired permissions in the box below
  6. Click OK twice

That should do it...

More information re. Windows 7 File Sharing

Hope this helps

Cheers

Lz.

Cheers | Lz. (GMT +1)

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.