Windows 8 and font smoothing

Hi !

This is my first post in the Microsoft community.
I'm a huge fan of this company, and I usually use their products in my studies,work, mail.. etc
I used Windows since XP, and I'm very happy with the latest windows8.
Windows 8 is clearly more fluid, and more bold, I like it!
There's only one little problem, but is really important me: Font smoothing.
I started using Ubuntu lately in my brother's laptop, and I was completly impressed by the font displaying on it.
It looks more great, more professional and more great :-)
The font looks 'acceptable' on windows only when it exceeds 50px.
I see some evolution on this way on ie since ie9, but it definetly not the same as Ubuntu's

Can they take this think in mind while working on windows blue, or they'll ignore it, and continue with fonts displaying like 15years ago..

Question Info

Last updated November 23, 2018 Views 1,226 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hello!

I'd like to offer one way to adjust your font smoothing.  To accommodate many different types of LCD monitors and types of pixels, Windows has adjustments to the font smoothing method it uses.  It is possible that a less than optimal method is currently being used.  Here's how to adjust it:

1. Open your Start screen and type the word "clear" (search results will display when you start typing).

2. Select the Settings category on the right, then click the search result called "Adjust ClearType Text" to start the ClearType Text Tuner.

3. Click Next in the wizard, and then step through the calibration.  At each step, you will be asked to click the text that looks best to you.  This will allow Windows to use the best font smoothing for your system and preference.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.