Windows 8 Action Center Says my Firewall is Turned off When It is On.

I am using a current and compatible version of Norton.  Is this action center message not updating correctly?  Clicking Turn On does nothing.
|

Hi Cairn,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community forum!

Before proceeding with the troubleshooting steps I may need a few more information to understand the issue better.

a)      Did you make any recent changes on the computer prior to this issue?

Windows 8 Comes with inbuilt firewall, So if you install Norton, Windows Firewall gets disabled automatically.

So I would recommend you to uninstall Norton, because it is not recommended to use more than one security program.

So you can use either use Norton or Windows firewall.

Please refer the link given below.

Protect your PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/protect-pc#1TC=t1

Also refer this for further information.

Windows Firewall from start to finish

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-firewall-from-start-to-finish

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Hope the information provided was helpful. If you need any further information, please post. We are here to assist you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I installed Norton 360 and it works sometimes. Then sometimes action center says I don't have a virus program installed. Yet Norton runs. My fix is a work around until Microsoft and Norton get it fixed. It works 100% of the time.

1. go to Norton and disable it and the Norton firewall.

2. Restart

3. go into action center and click the enable virus and select Norton if it asks

wait a few minute for it to register. This should work but sometimes I have to do it a few times, don't interrupt the restart just wait until the action center flag comes up. Interrupting  the restart seems to mess up Norton registering with the action center,

I think it a communication problem between Norton and action center.

Also I've been having a lot of problems with Norton. Sometimes it does not scan, click the button and nothing happens. Running the fix above seems to fix it.

The problems seems to be occurring more often and I'm about ready to uninstall Norton and try something else.

Hope that helps Rob in Albuquerque

Robfly

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 13, 2019 Views 1,875 Applies to: