Windows 7 PC cannot join my Windows 8 HomeGroup

Hello,

After upgrading my Windows 7 Ultimate desktop machine to Windows 8 Pro, this machine has created a new HomeGroup.

I now want to connect my Windows 7 Home Premium netbook to this new HomeGroup.

On the W7HP netbook, the HomeGroup created by the W8P machine is shown as the detected HomeGroup.

When I click "Join", and enter the password for this HomeGroup, taken from the W8P machine, the W7HP machine tries to connect, then reports "Windows cannot set up a homegroup on this computer".

All the HomeGroup trouble-shooter on the W7HP machine can suggest is that all computers in the homegroup have to have synchronized time.  I've done that -- each machine is synchronizing via time.microsoft.com, and I've forced them to synchronize.

Running the trouble-shooter on the W8P machine reveals no problems.

Telling the W8P machine to leave the HomeGroup, and creating one on the W7HP machines doesn't work either.

What do I try now?

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated March 6, 2019 Views 4,141 Applies to:

Hi.

Thank you for using Windows 8. I see that you having an issue with Windows 7 pc unable to join Homegroup. I will surely help you to find a resolution regarding the issue.

Which is the antivirus program installed on the computer?

Method 1:

Run the network troubleshooter and check if it works.

Follow the steps to run the Network troubleshooter:

a.       Press Windows key + C on your keyboard to show the Charms bar.

b.      Type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting under Settings.

c.       Now type Network Troubleshooter in the search option.

d.      Click on Network troubleshooter to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2:

Disable security software temporarily and check.

Follow the steps to disable security software:

a.       Search for the security software installed in your computer in the Windows 8 search option.

b.      Click on Settings tab.

c.       Uncheck the option to turn on security software.

d.      Click on Save changes button.

e.      After disabling security software, check if you are create Homegroup on Windows8.

Note: Once you are done with the troubleshooting, ensure that you have checked the option Turn on security software under settings tab.

Method 3:

Try turning off Windows firewall and check if the issue persists.

a.       Press Windows key + X key and click Control Panel.

b.      View by small icons and open Windows firewall.

c.       Click on Turn Windows firewall on or off.
Note: If it prompts for Administrator password, enter password and click Ok.

d.      Turn off windows firewall of both the private and public network settings.

e.      Click Ok to save changes and check if the issue persists.

Also run the Fixit and refer the steps provided:

Why can't I join Homegroup

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-can-t-I-join-a-homegroup

Hope this information helps. Please reply back with the status so that we could help you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Winston,

Thank you for your response.

When you say "Which is the antivirus program installed on the computer?", which computer do you mean, precisely?

Do you mean:

• the Windows 8 Pro machine, which created the homegroup, or
  • the Windows 7 Home Premium machine, which is trying, and failing to create the homegroup?

You talk about "charms", which implies the Windows 8 Pro machine (because Windows 7 has no concept of "charms").

The Windows 8 Pro machine has no specific virus protection, other than what Windows 8 provides -- whne I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate a couple of days ago, Microsoft Security Essentials was disabled by the install, since Microsoft Security Essentials is not compatible with Windows 8.

The Windows 7 Home Premium machine uses Microsoft Security Essentials.

Running the network troubleshooter on the Windows 7 Home Premium machine results in no errors being detected.

Upon which machine are you suggesting that I turn off:

• virus protection
  • firewall

Thanks for any clarification,

Regards,

Jonathan

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Microsoft Team,

My name is Bart and I work in it- and this issue w/ THE HOMEGROUP between Windows7 and 8 is a little frustrating. I LOVE BOTH OS'S- I believe the programmers need to at-least work on a patch or include a fix upon deploying a fix when the Service Pak comes out for Windows 8. I tried to use remote desktop from my Windows 7 machine to manipulate poking a hole in Windows 8 other words a backdoor method to see if I can't get the 7 machine to join the Windows 8 Home Group.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem.  I bought a new laptop with Windows 8 and have not been able to connect through homegroup to my PC running Windows 7.  I've tried disabling virus and security software, I even uninstalled a version of Norton and switched to a different one.  I've tried both wireless and wired connections through my router to connect.  I've also tried the old fashioned map to network drive option without success.  I feel this is an issue Microsoft should be able to solve.  Or, don't roll out a new version of operating wear until all of the functionality is available.  I've spent hours and hours on this, changing settings, running the troubleshooter and trying all kinds of different options without success.  I still have another 7 days to return my Windows 8 laptop and may do that and opt for a cheaper box running Windows 7. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I think it may have something to do with wired vs wireless connections. I aligned all of my computers so that we were all only connections via wireless connections and then I could see all of the other boxes. It wasn't enough to connect to the wireless connections, by the way. Had to physically unplug Ethernet connection to get this to work. It took a second or two for the wireless connections to "see" each other.

Once all of the boxes were connecting via wireless connections, all were able to connect and see each other. I don't know if this works the other way--having all Ethernet connections might work, too, if you have machines that don't have wifi capabilities...

Sorry this didn't help.

The only solution is to choose Leave the Homegroup on all the computers and set up a homegroup again on only one. Then join that homegroup using the new password. There is no way to reconcile 2 diff homegroups or change passwords. You have to cancel each one by leaving and set up a single new one. 

Sorry this didn't help.

That's not what I did, but whatever....

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

After upgrading my Windows 7 Ultimate desktop machine to Windows 8 Pro, this machine has created a new HomeGroup.

I now want to connect my Windows 7 Home Premium netbook to this new HomeGroup.

On the W7HP netbook, the HomeGroup created by the W8P machine is shown as the detected HomeGroup.

When I click "Join", and enter the password for this HomeGroup, taken from the W8P machine, the W7HP machine tries to connect, then reports "Windows cannot set up a homegroup on this computer".

All the HomeGroup trouble-shooter on the W7HP machine can suggest is that all computers in the homegroup have to have synchronized time.  I've done that -- each machine is synchronizing via time.microsoft.com, and I've forced them to synchronize.

Running the trouble-shooter on the W8P machine reveals no problems.

Telling the W8P machine to leave the HomeGroup, and creating one on the W7HP machines doesn't work either.

What do I try now?

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.