Windows 7 Notebook cannot access Windows 8 Shared folder on different user account

Hi,

I've a new Windows 8 PC and a older Windows 7 Notebook. With the Windows 8 PC I've set it up initially with my windows live account. I then decided to setup a local account instead. Both account has the same user name, if I look under the user folder, I'll have a folder called USER and another USER_2.  The fist USER account is associated to my Windows live account as mentioned.

My Windows 8 PC has not problem accessing the Windows 7 notebook, it always ask for a user and password when I first connect.

My Windows 7 notebook also does not have problem accessing the Windows 8 PC until I removed USER and added USER_2 to the permission list of the sharing setting.

My Windows 7 notebook has the same USER login name as that of the Windows 8 PC. When I access it, it will come out with "Windows cannot access \\xxxxx" "You do not have permission to access \\xxxxx".

I have no idea why that is so.  If I change the permission back to USER, it works fine. Also, there is no pop up window to ask for username and password, it just go straight to the cannot access message.

Would much appreciated it if someone have any idea to why that is so.

Thank you

Hi,

1.       What does the User_2 folder contains?

2.       Are you referring to “C:\ users” folder?

I would suggest you to give full permission to the User_2” folder and then check if this you can access that folder.

Follow these steps:

a.       Right click on the User_2 folder and select “Properties”.

b.      Select “Sharing” tab and select “Advanced sharing” option then select “Permissions” button.

c.       Select “Everyone” and give full permission.

d.      Click on “Apply” then “Ok” to save the changes and close all the windows.

Then check if you are able to access that folder.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Sathish,

thank you very much.

I guess I did not explained it clearly.

I should have used a name instead of just USER. I've created a user, lets call it, Eric, by setting up a email account as required when I first setup the Windows 8 PC. After that I decided to setup and use a local account user instead. I created a user name also called Eric.

So I now have 2 Eric account one when I login shows *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and another just Eric, this give rise to 2 folders in the C:\User directory. Windows 8 has created one, named  C:\Users\Eric and the other one C:\Users\Eric_2.

Hope this is much clearer.

I've partitioned a D:\ drive and am trying to share this drive. Initially I've given permission to *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and I can connect to the Win 8 PC without being asked for a password. I thought it was ok as my Win 7 notebook also has Eric as a user. But than I realized that I have to give permission to Eric (the local account user) in Win 8 instead and removed the permission for *** Email address is removed for privacy *** . When I did this, my Win 7 Notebook got the no permission message. So to make sure I gave *** Email address is removed for privacy *** the permission again and once I did that I can access the drive again.

I've given full permission to "Everyone" as suggested and removed all other users, my Win 7 notebook can now access the shared D:\ drive but there are 2 other Win 7 notebook that still cannot access it. They can see it but have no permission to access despite, the "Everyone" permission setting.

In any case why isn't there a request for password when I'm connecting to the Win 8 folder. On the other hand when the Win 8 PC access my Win 7 notebook, a user name and password is request and I've no problem connecting to the Win 7 notebook. 

Any idea or help would be fantastic.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

It looks like the issue might be with the local user account. I would suggest you to switch back to Microsoft account and then check if this fixes the issue.

Follow these steps:

a.      Press “Windows key + W” from the keyboard.

b.      Type “Users” in the search box and hit enter.

c.      Click on “Switch to Microsoft Account” option.

d.      Enter the account credentials and then login to that Microsoft account and then check how it works.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sathish,

thanks once again.

I am not keen to change my local account to a Microsoft account, I already have a Microsoft account from the initial setup.  As mentioned, if I used that  Microsoft account which I first created, then there is no problem connecting to the Windows 8 PC from my Win 7 notebook. 

And as you suggested, if I give permission to the "Everyone" group than I can also connect using my Local account.

(but another 2 different Win 7 notebook cannot, regardless of what account or permission given, don't know why. All notebook use to be able to connect to my old Vista PC, which is now dead, for file sharing and printing)

I'll create a different Microsoft Account just to test, but if my Win 7  notebook does not ask for credentials when trying to connect the Win 8 Shared folders, how is that going to work ?

Is there a way to force the Win 8 PC to ask for credentials when others are trying to connect to it ? I've played around with the "Turn on/ Turn off password protected sharing" settings but still my Win 8 PC does not ask for credentials.

I don't understand why Win 8 denies the access when it does not ask for credentials, how does it determine that the connecting notebook has not rights to access.

For the time being I have left  full control for the Everyone group. But only one of the 3 notebooks have access.

Will inform you after I test it with another Microsoft Account.

Meanwhile if you have any other ideas to try, most appreciated.

Thank you 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 370 Applies to: