Wifi Limited Access, error:"The default gateway is not available"

I just bought a Windows 8 laptop last December. It had been repaired twice (changing the motherboard). It works all fine until last week, the wifi connectivity started to show limited access. By the way, my IPV6 shows no access. I tried many solutions from many websites but every one won't work. Is there any other way? When I trobleshoot the problem, it will show wifi has internet but when I run Google Chrome, it will show an error of connecting the internet. After I trobleshoot, the problem shown is "The default gateway is not available". Besides that, it will turn back to limited access about 5 minutes after trobleshooting. I need a solution as fast as possible. URGENT!!!  Besides that, may I know what caused this to happen??? Hope some of you can help. :(
Dell Inspiron 7420, Windows 8 Single language
Answer
Answer
Hi Amos,

I understand that your WiFi connection fails.
As per the error (the default gateway is not available), it is an issue with the gateway IP address that is not connecting to the internet.

I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1.    Have you made any recent changes to your computer(installing updates, device drivers)?

2.    Which antivirus application are you using?

What are the troubleshooting steps you have tried?

Here are some troubleshooting steps that you can try to resolve this problem.

Method 1: Manually assign the default gateway and the IP address and check if it works fine. Before assigning the IP address and the Default gateway manually, make
a note of the IP address on the computer. To do this open Command prompt and type ipconfig and press enter. This will display the IP address, make a note of it.

To assign the IP address and default gateway manually, follow the steps below:
a. In system tray, right click network icon. Choose Open Network and Sharing Center.

b. Click Change adapter settings

c. Right click on Wireless adapter connection and click on Properties.

d. Double click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and assign the IP address manually.
Example: Old Ip address is 192.168.0.1
Change the IP address to 192.168.0.50
e. Let the Subnet mask and default gateway be the same.
Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
Default gateway, usually would be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1
f. Click on Apply and Ok and restart the computer and verify if it helps to fix the issue.

If the above method does not work, go to next method.

Method 2: I would suggest you to try the steps from the link given below:
Wired and wireless network problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

If you face any further issues, please reply to this post and we'll be happy to assist you further.

183 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 28, 2020 Views 87,821 Applies to: