Why can't I install Java for Windows 8?

I have just upgraded to Windows 8 64 bit for my desktop with a fresh install.

Everything has gone smoothly except trying to get Java to work. I have attempted to manually install Java both from the 32 and 64 bit files available on Java's website.

The 64 bit version installs correctly (or at least so it seems at first). The Java control panel is installed and I can see it under add/remove programs. However, the Java plugins that should be installed as well for my Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome do not seem to be installed, and thus when I go to any website using Java, it fails to recognize Java is installed. ie. Java will not work in any browser or any site, and I just constantly get prompted to install Java.

The 32 bit version does not install at all, but rather simply shuts itself down as soon as I click "install" on the first install page.

I have verified that I am downloading the Java installation files completely. I have tried installing without Avast enabled. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I have tried running the installers as Administrator. The same results always happen - 64 bit installs but without working in any browser, and 32 bit does not install at all.

I have checked my computer and it is malware free. There is hardly anything installed at all. Windows is up to date. I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening, since I've never had a problem like this on any Windows computer before.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them.

Thanks.

Hi,

I didn't have a problem with this... Are you using IE 10 Desktop?

You might try going to Internet Options...Programs Tab, and click the "Manage Addons" button and see what's going on.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I just ended up reinstalling Windows and installing Java from the start which went smoothly. I don't know why it wouldn't work, but a fresh install solved the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I've had a few of those... even though I thought I did everything the same...

Just had one with Win 8.1 Preview.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 2, 2019 Views 2,499 Applies to: