Using windows 8 I leave the internet listening to music and it stops, is there any way to listen to music on youtube and be in another app?

Using windows 8 I leave the internet listening to music and it stops, is there any way to listen to music on youtube and be in another app?

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forums.

From your Description I understand that when you try to play music on internet (You tube) and access any other App side by side, the music on internet stops playing.

Please answer the following questions to clear cut the issue:

1)      Which Internet Browser are you using to play music on You tube?

2)     If you are using Internet Explorer then which Internet Explorer are you using to play music? Is it a Desktop Internet Explorer or the Modern UI Internet Explorer?

I would like to inform you that if you are playing the music from modern Internet Explorer and then be on another app, the music would stop. This is by design.

I would suggest you to reply with the required information so that I would be able to clear cut the issue and provide appropriate troubleshooting steps based on the provided information. If you have any other query related to Windows feel free to post. I will be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've had this problem too. I am using google chrome and would like to listen to youtube videos as I write papers, edit photos, etc. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue and it is kind of stupid to stop the application when you switch between the  app
what if i am writing on MS ward and I want to listen to streaming music  from Pandora basically you tell me that this is by design impossible then I think I bought the wrong notebook. 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Is this for real? I can't play music on a streaming site without having the browser in focus? Am I missing something? Aren't current browsers and CPUs designed for multi-tasking? I'm using Chrome and can't go and use another program? This has to be a mistake on my part. Please Microsoft, explain.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think this question is generic so let's put it this way to get a correct answer:

I would like to be able to keep an application (browser or whatever application I am using) running when it loses focus. Some common problems people are finding:

- Cannot listen to music through internet explorer / chrome / whatever when switching to another app.

- Online chat clients drop upon losing focus (google chat for example)

How do we open the desktop version of the browser and is it possible to keep the applications running in the background while working on other applications? If so,, how?

Thanking MS in advance,

Fernando

Sorry this didn't help.

I think this question is generic so let's put it this way to get a correct answer:

I would like to be able to keep an application (browser or whatever application I am using) running when it loses focus. Some common problems people are finding:

- Cannot listen to music through internet explorer / chrome / whatever when switching to another app.

How do we open the desktop version of the browser and is it possible to keep the applications running in the background while working on other applications? If so,, how?

Thanking MS in advance,

Fernando

If you are using an app on the new Win 8 'modern' interface then only the app in focus stays running, the others stop until brought back to the foreground.  (unless you have two in the split-screen mode.)

Applications/programs running on the Win 8 desktop multitask as they always have done.  To listen to music whilst doing another task you will need to use the desktop version of whichever browser you prefer.

--
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
MCC 2011, 2015, 2017

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanking MS in advance,

Fernando

If you are using an app on the new Win 8 'modern' interface then only the app in focus stays running, the others stop until brought back to the foreground.  (unless you have two in the split-screen mode.)

Applications/programs running on the Win 8 desktop multitask as they always have done.  To listen to music whilst doing another task you will need to use the desktop version of whichever browser you prefer.

Excellent, thank you for the concise answer.

Fernando

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 19, 2020 Views 819 Applies to: