Rogue devices showing up on windows 8 network in file exporer.

Hi everyone,

When I connect to my wireless network (very secure and complex WPA2 password), I go to File Explorer and the click on the "Network" at the bottom left of the window.  There continues to be a wireless device or phone that shows detected on the network.  I have seen three different devices and mac addresses since logging on this morning.  I have also checked the router and there is no record of these mac id's or devices on the router.  Where would these be coming from?  This doesn't show on my Windows 7 machines.  And also, I do not own any of these phones that are appearing on the network.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank You in advance for any help,

Phil

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi all same problem
ghost mobile phones and tablet appearing in my network screen windows 8
and only mac address available, no ip and NO TRACE OF THE DEVICE ON THE ROUTER LOG!! of such a device. moreover i have 7 devices connected to my router, 5 by cable and 2 by wifi and my router is set to only assign from x01 to x08 ip address therefore there is no way a device can connect (plus normal security stuff). So it must be a direct connection to the laptop
someone metioned a bug of HomeGroup Provider service. Any info on that?
It is cary see unknown machine connected to your laptop.....

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have just seen this issue and the only thing that seems to have stopped it happening is hiding the SSID on my router.  So, I guess that would suggest it is phones reading the broadcast SSID. How and why that gets translated into a visible device in Windows 8.1 (just upgraded) I don't understand, because my own phone, which is connected with an IP address, does NOT show up in the network panel...

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.  I originally noticed this when unknown devices started showing up in Norton Internet Securities, network security map, on a HP laptop running Windows 8.1. Discovered that they were cell phones showing up as network devices when I clicked on network in explorer. I have three other Windows 7 computers that never show the devices. My router also never shows these devices in the log.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, it appears that devices only do a partial handshake to the network as you receive Manufacturer, Model, Model Number, MAC address. 

IP Address is not performed as the handshake is not completed, so it fails to acquire network status.

I think this may have to do with Microsoft Challenge Handshake Protocol (I have not been in IT for over 5 years) as I remember something similar being a hassle when packet sniffing networks to make them more secure.

If anything, to increase the level of paranoia, set a MAC address filter table on your routers to secure authorised devices on your network.

Another thing to do is to is to make your network invisible, but it's not truly hidden but will knock off script kiddies and casual leaches, and maybe attract serious hackers.

Oh, happy Holidays too.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have just seen this issue and the only thing that seems to have stopped it happening is hiding the SSID on my router.  So, I guess that would suggest it is phones reading the broadcast SSID. How and why that gets translated into a visible device in Windows 8.1 (just upgraded) I don't understand, because my own phone, which is connected with an IP address, does NOT show up in the network panel...

My SSID has always been hidden and I still see these strange devices pop up (2 so far). They appear then disappear. I'm sooo glad I found this forum as I was going crazy trying to determine how the heck phones made it on my network (or the appearance thereof). The phone I see is "zte_nex". I also saw an LG phone a couple days back. Same conditions...no ip is assigned, not on router list, but has a MAC address listed in device properties.

My router has WPA2 with a very strong password, mac address filtering, no SSID broadcasting, block connection by default, guest network isolation, etc...so the whole 9 yards. I was so freaked out by this that i ended up reformatting my computer yesterday only to see the phone show up again. As you could imagine I was heated!

Anyway, good to know I'm not the only person with this issue. Took some time after hours of Google searching to land here.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Guys, this isn't a phone CONNECTED to your network.  It's just a discoverable device or one that attempted a connection at one point.  No IP?  No problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

is everyone here using a legit copy of Windows!? A reddit thread says that these issues could be to do with installing dodgy copies !

Sorry this didn't help.

yes of course.

it does happen also with clean install w8 update 1

Sorry this didn't help.

such a weird problem! i'm in the UK, and i have Verizon and AT&T phones showing up ! 

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem on me! I run Windows 8.1 but did not notice this issue till I changed my wireless router into a Netgear R6300V2 with 2,4 GHz and 5GHz support.

It is quite annoying, if I keep reluctant to become paranoic, to see "unknown devices" being showed continuesly on my network devices... 

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 24, 2020 Views 32,047 Applies to: