Missing shared security type option for WiFi adapter in Windows 8 Pro - can't connect to wifi

After I installed Win 8 Pro, I cannot connect to my wifi network available because it is set to security type option "shared" which does not exists in the new win 8 pro. The drivers of my card are up to date, other networks work, but I cannot setup this one.
Tried all the security alternative options to setup the network but no luck.
I have no access to the router to change the setting of the network so I have to find a solution with the shared security option of my wifi .
Any help ? Any fix-update available that corrects this one ? or should I change my OS ?   

Hi,

I understand that it must be frustrating, but rest assured, we are here to help fix the issue and guide you in the right direction.

To help you suggest steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1.       Do you have any third party security program installed on the computer?

2.       Do you get any error messages?

3.       Are you aware of any changes made to the computer prior to the issue?

You may go through the steps from the article and check if it helps. You may also go through the steps from the link and check.

Refer the article to fix issue with network adaptors.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Rohit Chettri
Forum Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

1. No
2. No just "can't connect"
3. No I just installed win 8

The adapter works fine on other OS.
I guess the issue is the "shared" security type missing in the win8 platform.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm facing the same issue. Is there a solution to this problem? I don't want to change the settings on my wi-fi adapter and cannot get my Windows 8 laptop to connect to the wireless network. Please help.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is EXTREMELY annoying issue.  The 'Security Type = Shared'' option for wireless connections appears to be deprecated, and the other WEP options don't work.  I used an ethernet connection to update my windows drivers, but no fix.  And every dialogue on this on the internet culminates in a dead end.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is VERY frustrating. I just got a windows 8 laptop and cannot access my WEP wifi network at home, or at work, which effectively makes my computer useless. It seems that the problem is in the lack of the "shared" security option, as that's what worked for windows 7. I don't know what to do now...

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 20, 2019 Views 1,773 Applies to: