I have windows 8 and when I try to setup a homegroup it tels me that a homegroup already exsist on a computer that does not even exist on the network

for some reason when I go to network and sharing it says a homegroup exists on the network, but the computer it says its created on does not exist on the network and I cannot figure out why it says a homegroup exists when I know for a fact it does not exist, I have never created a home group before

the odd thing is it says that a computer which has not ever existed created this so called homegroup

Hi, Jacqueline,

Click Start, type: Network and Sharing Center
Under 'Change your networking settings', click 'Choose homegroup and sharing options'
Click 'Leave the homegroup...' follow the on screen wizard (before you do this, view the homegroup wizard)
Go back to "Network and Sharing Center"
Change your Network location to Home

This should launch a setup wizard to create your own Homegroup.

-OR- you can try

Go to Network and Sharing center. Change network type from Home to Public. Click Close.

Click "Change Advanced sharing settings". Click OK or Cancel

Change network type back to "Home" and then press Next. It should create a new Homegroup automatically.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/cant-create-homegroup-on-network-one-already/2e065bc7-e9d4-48c5-80b7-bfac1917488d

Let us know if this works for you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

trouble is there has never been a homegroup created to be able to leave it. if I go to network and sharing center it says that a home group has been created on Jacqueline-pc but NONE of the computers are named that and it also says the homegroup was created by me but I have not crewated one.

I did create one quite a while back when one of the computers had windows 7 but I had did the leave a long time ago and that computer has since been formatted and installed with windows 8 and is not even named Jacqueline-pc anymore.

I have checked all computers and every one of them says the same thing a home group exists but none of them have created this homegroup so how can I leave a homegroup that doesn't exist from a computer that also doesn't exist ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try solution given by Jonathan Jones, member:

make sure you leave homegroup on all machines ...

Delete the files in the Peernetworking folder

Find the MachineKeys folder and rename to MachineKeys_old (you might need to change permissions to do this). Give full permissions to the MachineKeys folder to System, Admin & Everyone.

Run Homegroup troubleshooter

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/homegroup-wont-go-away-ghost-group-on-whole/8a4f464f-e461-47aa-af05-07a4fd4875fd

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 151 Applies to: