How to make Windows 8 join an XP machine workgroup?

I have an old XP machine which has a workgroup all set up. I made my Windows 8 machine a member of the same workgroup, but it cannot see the XP machine at all. What should I do?

I already set up the homegroup on Win8, and from the XP machine I can see the Win8 machine. But I cannot see the XP machine from the Win8 machine. 
Answer
Answer
Thank you for the response, but I had been through all the information before I posted my questionm and didn't find it to be able to solve my problem. So first let me clarify:

1) Are you referring to Workgroup or homegroup?
I don't believe XP has the concept of a homegroup, so I am talking about a Workgroup. I made both of my XP and Win8 machines to belong to a Workgroup with the same name. 

2) No, none of my computers are connected to a domain, they both belong to a Workgroup of the same name.

Again, the problem I have is asymmetric. From my XP machine's "Network Place" I can see the Win8, but not the other way around.

What I did to solve the problem, is to have the Win8 user account leave the default the homegroup. All of sudden, all machines on the Workgroup become visible. I hope my tip can help others who have this problem too. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 859 Applies to: