How to delete unused "Network #" name for wifi connection windows 8

Hi support,

I recently bought a windows 8 tablet from samsung, lately, whenever i go for starbucks and other fav wifi hotspots around my area. The network number name keep appending whenever I connect to their hotspot.

Like for example, If i choose to connect to nearby ABC hotspot tomorrow, when I'm there. it will be network 51 assigned as the network name.

How do I delete / reset the older unused ones?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community and providing us an opportunity to assist you on this issue.

As per the query, it seems like you need to manage the network profiles on your Windows 8 computer.

Yes, it is possible to manage wireless network profiles on Windows 8.

If you need to change or delete a wireless connection profile, you can usually do it by right-clicking the network in the network list and choosing a command on the menu that appears

You can refer to the link to manage different network profiles:

“Manage wireless network profiles”

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/manage-wireless-network-profiles

Hope it helps.

Please write us if you have any other Windows related issue and we would be glad to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I can delete the network profile but when I reconnect it still connects with the name of the SSID followed by a number. On Windows 7 you could delete these. How do you do so on Windows 8

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/how-do-i-delete-or-clear-redundant-network/07834191-708d-45f9-9ef2-e779dd930ce3

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not sure if there's a easy way through a GUI but all the network profiles are stored under the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

I generally just go there and delete (or change the name/description of) the offending profiles.

- Jason

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not sure if there's a easy way through a GUI but all the network profiles are stored under the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

I generally just go there and delete (or change the name/description of) the offending profiles.

- Jason

Excuse for the bump, but you forgot to note about restarting Explorer via the task manager for the new network name to show up properly on the notification icon popup.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi support,

I recently bought a windows 8 tablet from samsung, lately, whenever i go for starbucks and other fav wifi hotspots around my area. The network number name keep appending whenever I connect to their hotspot.

Like for example, If i choose to connect to nearby ABC hotspot tomorrow, when I'm there. it will be network 51 assigned as the network name.

How do I delete / reset the older unused ones?

Sorry this didn't help.

The easiest way is to just go to device manager, network adapters, then uninstall them from there.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 23, 2020 Views 9,176 Applies to: