How to access Windows 8 PC over the Internet with Remote Desktop Connection?

Hi,

Can someone tell me how to access Windows 8 PC over the Internet with Remote Desktop Connection?

I'm good with software and I've used many Microsoft software programs since the 1980's. So I like Microsoft products but ever since they outsourced their tech support, you can't get quality tech support even if you pay for it. I've followed all the instructions in the Windows 8 help screens on setting up RDC but I can't connect unless I'm on the same home network. Here are the details:

I have a Desktop PC with Windows 8 Pro and I allowed RDC. I tried both settings in System Properties:

1. Allow remote connections to this computer.
  2. Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication.

I also enabled both Private and Public settings in Windows Firewall > Allow an App or feature through Windows Firewall.

I then setup RDC from my Laptop PC with Windows 8 (standard edition, not the Pro edition). I have one RDC using the full computer name and another RDC using the static IP for my Desktop ISP connection.

I am using the Windows administrator user account for the RDC connections from the Laptop.

I cannot get this to work over the Internet from a location outside of my home with a different ISP connection. The only way it works if I'm at home with the Laptop using the same home network.

I called Dell tech support and that's always useless and nothing but an aggravating waste of over an hour talking to their outsourced tech support in India (who barely even understand English) and then they hang up the phone like it was supposedly disconnected. I also called Microsoft tech support and wasted over an hour talking to their outsourced tech support in the Philippines (and like India support, they hang up or "disconnect" when they can't answer your question and they realize you know more about Windows then they do). Do any USA tech companies use AMERICANS anymore for their tech support so their customers can get people who actually care about doing a good job and can actually understand English???

So if anyone who is knowledgeable about using Windows 8 for RDC over the Internet has some advice, then it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

P.S. if anyone is offended by my comments about the lousy, incompetent, morons providing "tech support" in India or the Philippines - too bad!! You go ahead and waste hours of your time talking to some moron in those countries who barely understands English and then "disconnects" the call when they know you realize they are clueless and don't have any answers.

Answer
Answer

Have a look at no-ip.com or dyndns.com, then use your no-ip/dynDNS host.domain:3389 or run RelaVNc SErver which runs at port 5900 by default.  Server Options allow you to change the port as well if needed.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 14, 2019 Views 3,747 Applies to: