dns server not responding on windows 8 cannot use most websites

when I try to download files from websites I get this page cant be displayed when I click fix connection problems say the dns server is not responding but ive also been having problems with the wireless dropping out of turning itself of without telling it too I thought it was the router but other family computers work fine with the router

please help thanks phil

Answer
Answer
Hi phil,

Thank you for choosing Windows 8 and posting your query on Microsoft community.

From your issue description, I understand that when you try to download files from websites you get an error message “this page can’t be displayed” and you have issue with Wireless connections.

Could you please answer the following questions so that I can help in a better way.
1. Which web browser are you using?
2. Are you facing the issue with all the websites?
3. What is the make and model of the computer?
4. Are you using Internet Explorer if yes then, which version desktop or Modern UI?
5. Have you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

Now let’s try some steps for resolving this issue, which I have described as methods given below.
If using Internet Explorer try these methods.

Method 1: Run the internet explorer performance troubleshooter and check.
a) Press Windows key + W to search Settings.
b) Type “Troubleshoot” without quotes and click on Troubleshooting.
c) In the new windows click View all on the left pane.
d) In the list of options, click on Internet Explorer Performance.
e) Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2: I suggest you refer to the link and follow the steps given in the link.
Videos won't play or WebPages won't display correctly.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/videos-dont-work#ie=ie-10

I also suggest you follow the article also and check.
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error in Internet Explorer.
Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Regarding wireless connection I suggest you try the following method.

Method 3: I suggest you refer to the link and follow the steps given in the link.
Wired and wireless network problems
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1
Hope this information helps you. If you need any further assistance or information about Windows, I will be glad to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 4, 2019 Views 30,752 Applies to: