delete old/renamed wireless ssid

Hi, I renamed my wireless SSID (on my router) but my windows 8 computers keep showing both the new ssid and the old (and this perhaps causes the wifi connection to periodically drop to 'limited' / no internet access).  (1st is an ACER Aspire V5-571P with win8 preinstalled; the other is a dell inspiron 6400, upgrade to win8 from xp - not sure is this one drops to limited connectivity.)

My windows 7 and linux computers only see the new ssid (and I haven't observed the wifi connection dropping to 'limited').
Is there a fix for this?  Best I can see at the moment is somewhat drastic - reinstall os from scratch.  I could also reset the router to factory status and start again at that end, but I suspect I'll just be adding a third ssid on the  windows 8 machines and making things worse.

Re the wifi connection periodically dropping to limited - the really annoying thing - is there a known independent issue around this or is it likely the two problems are linked.  (I've seen a few reports on this and other forums of wifi troubles like this with similar acer models.)

Thanks for any help. 

Question Info

Last updated October 6, 2019 Views 20,650 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

I would suggest you to Upgrade the Router firmware and check.

If the issue persists, then  I would suggest you to delete network profile from registry and check. Go to the following location in registry to do so.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. Follow these steps to take back up and restore the registry.

a. Go to start screen and type regedit.

b. Select regedit and right click on the screen.

c. Click on Run as administrator.

d. Locate and click the key or subkey that you want to back up.

e. Click the File menu, and then click Export.

f. In the Save in box, select the location where you want to save the backup copy to, and then type a name for the backup file in the File name box.

g. Click Save.

Do let us know about the results.

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.