COMMAND PROMPT 6118 ERROR "NET VIEW"

Hello, Im having a problem with the Net View command in CMD. I get and error; 6118. Im running os windows 8 and I have norton security installed if that helps any. Ive been trying to find solutions to this problrm but no luck. If you can help me with the problem that would be great:) thanks for your time! If anybody needs more details to understand what is going on then just ask me:)

Question Info

Last updated January 11, 2019 Views 4,297 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Is the computer connected to a workgroup?

There are scenarios when a computer is connected to a workgroup and the name for the specific computer running an operating system isn't the same as that of the other computers. Here's a link for instance:

Refer to the suggestions from Ztruker posted on August 27th, 2009:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/77ead57a-a3f7-4e07-9e66-2ee2abb34d97/win-7-network-browser-not-seeing-other-xp-pro-systems?forum=w7itpronetworking

You can also try disabling network firewall and Norton security software temporarily, after you enable an Internet firewall, you may not be able to search, or "browse," for other computers on your home or office network, and you may not be able to share files with other computers on oyour home r office network.

Important Note: Security software can help protect your computer against viruse and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

For issues related to Domain name grayed out, you can refer to the link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/8f7ca1af-190b-4377-971c-b86d2862136c/windows-8-pro-domain-change-option-greyed-out-in-system-properties?forum=w8itprogeneral

As suggested earlier, you can also post the same query on Microsoft TechNet forum.

Please feel free to ask more queries on Windows.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Thank you piniki and kakarthik:)! My problem was exactly that norton did not allow my computer to ping ips from other computers. The good thing was I only had to diable a little setting from norton rather than the wholething, therefore I did not have to disable and then RENABLE my internet security. THANKS AGAIN:)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.