Can't download anything on Windows 8

Original Title: Nothing will download in Windows 8?

I'm not sure whats causing this, but NOTHING will download in windows 8. Not apps, or things i download on the internet. It will start the download and then it will say, "The download was interrupted." I've tried a clean boot, but that didn't help. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Question Info

Last updated March 21, 2020 Views 39,815 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for reaching us out on Microsoft Community Forum and we are glad to assist you on this issue.

It looks like you having a tough time while downloading any apps or other applications on the computer as you get an error saying “The download was interrupted”.

I would like to get some information on this issue to resolve this issue in a better way:

1) Which Internet browser are you using to download applications?
2) Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
3) Have you install any security software on the computer?

Perhaps, this issue might be resolve by performing the internet connection troubleshooter on the computer.

You may follow the methods:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to follow the steps to perform internet connection troubleshooter:

Follow the steps below:
a) Press Windows and x key together and select Control Panel.
b) Click on Troubleshooting.
c) Click on View all at the left side panel.
d) Click on Internet Connections.
e) Follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot this issue.

Method 2:

Check if any proxy is enabled.

I will provide you certain steps to check if any proxy connection is enabled:

1) Open Internet Explorer on the desktop.
2) Click on Tools icon option on the top right corner.
3) Select Internet Option from the list.
4) Click on Connection tab.
5) Click on LAN Settings.
6) Uncheck the box which says “Use a Proxy Server for your LAN ".

Method 3:

Please check for the system date and time and check if it is up to date.

If it is not set correctly, please follow the link to change the date and time:

Method 4:

I would recommend you to disable the security software temporarily and check if that helps.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

In response to issues while downloading Windows apps;

You may perform the App troubleshooter and check if it helps:

Refer to the link to download the troubleshooter on to the computer:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

After downloading this troubleshooter, click on save and then run the troubleshooter.

Please reply us if the issue still persists.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Pinaki,

1) I am using Internet Explorer 10, but this problem also effect the App Store.
2) No changes were made.
3) No, I have not installed any security software.

I have tried all of the Methods you have recommended, but the problem still persists. As for the App store troubleshooter, I cannot download the troubleshooter due to the previous problem.

I appreciate your time and any further assistance you can give me.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the quick update.

I would like to get some more information on the operating system which you are using at the moment:

1) Which Operating system are you using? Is it a Windows 8 or is it a Windows Suraface RT?

2) Has downloads ever worked? If yes, what changed in environment?

I would recommend you to refer to the link to check on the version of the operating system:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/which-operating-system

Note: In Windows Surface RT, you may not download any thing except using Windows App Store.

Let's try with the following methods if the operating system is not Windows Surface RT:

Method 1:

Check if the Windows FIrewall has blocked the downloads to perform.

If yes, i would suggest you to restore it default settings.

Please follow the steps to change the Firewall settings to dafault:

a) Press Windows and x key together and select Control Panel.

b) Click on Windows Firewall.

c) Click on Restore Defaults on the left hand side panel.

d) Click on Restore Default option, click on Yes.

Method 2:  Perform SFC scan and check for the issue.

Let’s perform SFC Scan on the computer and check for any missing or corrupted system files.

Please refer to the steps to perform SFC Scan:

a.       Press “Windows Key + Q” to open Charms Bar.

b.      Type “cmd” without quotes in the search box.

c.       On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d.      Type ‘sfc /scannow’ without quotes and hit enter.

Method 3: If the issue still persists then please perform System Restore to get the issue resolved.

Please refer to the link given here to perform System Restore.

Please refer to the section "Restore your PC to an earlier point in time:"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

I hope this resolves your issue, please write to us if the issue still persists.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi again,

I am using Windows 8 version 6.2 on a computer, it is not the RT version.

No, downloads have never worked on this computer. I have tried all of your suggestions, and none of them work. I even installed a fresh copy of windows 8, but nothing seems to work. I know it is not my internet connection, because my brother has the same computer, and windows version, but he has no problem downloading anything.

Thanks for your help,

David

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I seem to be experiencing the exact same problem. I cannot download ANYTHING at all. I have just bought a brand new laptop with windows 8 and one of the main things I wanted was to be able to do was to be able to access iTunes as I have both an iPad and an iPod.

Nothing is wrong with my internet connection and as this is a brand new laptop I have done nothing to it. I have Norton security but I have tried disabling that and it didn't make a difference.

If you could provide some answers it would be great as I am a bit disappointed that so far I seem to have wasted the money spent on this laptop!!!

Regards,

Rebecca

88 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I don't know if this will help but I had the same problem with nothing downloading and the same error message appearing. I was told by PC World support to uninstall McAfee Security if i wasn't using it (I had a trial version). Then once I restarted my computer everything worked.

Just a suggestion.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I am in the exact same position..... Purchased a new laptop and I have only had it one week. My first issue was in getting anything to work which required Adobe Flash Player. Got that sorted by eventually managing to get the desktop to work which wasn't easy as had to search online to get it to work in the first place.

Now I cannot download any music!!! I've tried via the windows 8 app and I have also tried via desktop. Neither work. They don't get past 0% and I get a message stating it couldn't download it at all. My internet connection is absolutely fine as housemates are using the internet without any problems and even using my old laptop which doesn't have windows 8, it works perfect.

Extremely tempted to send the laptop back and buy one without windows 8. A total waste of a few hundred pounds!!

Any help is highly appreciated otherwise I am getting my money back.

Kim

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there

Also bought brand new laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed. Using USB modem for internet. It connects to the internet but unable to do any downloads, not even windows updates.

Eventually put my USB dongle in wireless 3G router and put it on WAN mode. Now have access to internet and can do massive downloads. 

Apparently a person should also click on the .net framework 3.5 and tick it all (according to vodaphone). Able to download better directly via dongle, but still time out.

So guess will never be able to download on the road, but 3G router is all I can use at home to do downloads.

Also you must set your access on mobile broadband to unmetered otherwise your downloading ability is limited.

Took weeks of searching and  messing around to find these out. Hope it helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't need to use a dongle and have no use for one. Thanks for you reply but it doesn't really help

Sorry this didn't help.

Exactly the same problem here. I am still using the Evaluation Copy. Version 6.2 build 8400.

Now in the position where the trial period has finished and I need to buy the proper version. The downloads have NEVER worked properly. I have followed pretty much all the guidance etc and I was hoping that Microsoft would have come up with a fix as I really like Windows 8. The only security I have on my machine now is the windows security.

I have tried downloads in Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and probably a couple more. Gonna try Torch so I will let you know. Some people do say that it is the website I am downloading from but I have tried from various now and IT STILL DOES NOT WORK!!!

I have now got to decide if I should buy or re-install Windows 7 with IE9 (Which is a real pain in itself to do this!!)

I may have noticed a theme going though but I am not sure. If you google the problem, a lot of people are saying "I have a HP envy" or "I have a HP pavilion" or "I have a HP Beats". Just wondering if it is a problem with HP.

It all worked fine when it was Windows 7 though. I have a HP!!!! and the HP restore manage is not compatible with Windows 8!!!!

C'mon Microsoft, give us a definitive fix.

P.S. I have an optional update for my Bluetooth adaptor but I don't think this is the problem

Sorry this didn't help.