Cannot open wireless connection menu (Windows 8)

I have having real problems with my HP windows 8 computer. My computer is fine with connecting to the internet with an Ethernet cable but has real difficulty with wireless. In occasions when something goes wrong with my wireless signal and I lose internet connection, It is impossible for me to connect again. When I try and click on the wireless icon on the task bar or start menu, it wont load up. The wireless networks menu wont load up, this is extremely annoying because throughout a normal day my laptop is put into sleep a lot. Whenever I turn it on again, I have to restart it. Not only is this annoying, it is time consuming.

Is there some kind of coding glitch, is it my version of windows 8, is there any way of fixing it myself, or shall I rage-quit back to windows 7? :D

Thanks in Advance.

Eli

Hi Eli,

As per the description, you are facing issues with Wireless internet connection and I’ll surely help you with the issue. I definitely understand how inconvenient it would be to reconnect the wireless network.

Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

Please follow the methods to fix the Wireless internet connection issues in Windows 8:

Method 1: I would have you run the Internet Connections troubleshooter.

a) Click on “Start” and type “troubleshooting” (without the quotations) and then select “Settings”.

b) Now, Click on “view all”.

c) Run the “Internet Connections” troubleshooter.

Method 2: Refer the link and follow the steps from the articles.

Why can’t I find a wireless network?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/cant-find-wireless-network

You may also visit this link for additional information.

Connect to the Internet

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/connect-to-the-internet

Post back with the result. If the issue is still not resolved, I’ll be glad to provide additional options.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

I think you did not understand the nature of the problem. I have the same issue when I'm connected to company's VPN and something goes wrong with it (ex. connection down for few seconds on company's side). While trying to reconnect to VPN sometimes something glitches and the tab with connections freezes and cannot be brought back. Clicking on wireless icon does absolutely nothing - no reaction from system. Even clicking on "Open network and sharing center" does nothing. The only way to fix this that I'm currently aware of is same as for Eli - restart the system, which is indeed very annoying if I'm in the middle of work and have plenty of programs and documents opened...

Regards,

Piotr

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

I think I'm having the same problem as you... Occasionally if I need to access the internet menu, which comes up at the right hand side of the screen, where I can connect to vpn or change my wifi connection, I cannot access it. As you say, all the menus just seem to freeze and be non-responsive.

Sorry I don't have a solution though, other than restarting the system... just here to rant my frustration really!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 21, 2021 Views 4,573 Applies to: