An unexpected error occurred.

I have tried to access the Properties (Administrator Privileges) in the Wi-fi Status window in Network and Sharing, the message "An unexpected error occurred" and I am trying to edit my DNS addresses. Although it is a solution for Windows 7, I've tried http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824923 knowing that Windows 8 runs the core of Windows 7. However, after both steps the error does no disappear. Is there any way to fix this?

Question Info

Last updated June 5, 2019 Views 10,463 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Phykro,

Thank you for reaching to us on Microsoft Community.

The article you have mentioned holds good for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. However, I appreciate your efforts to resolve the issue.

As per the description, it looks like when you try to access Wi-Fi Status in Network and Sharing receiving error message saying "An unexpected error occurred"

To help you suggest steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1.       Are you facing any network connectivity issue?

2.       Have you made any changes on the computer prior to the issue?

However, I’m glad to provide you with these methods which will help you to troubleshoot the issue.

Method 1: Run the Network troubleshooter and check if the issue is resolved. Follow these steps:

a.       Move the Mouse to bottom right corner and select ‘search’.

b.      Select ‘Settings’ and type ‘Troubleshooting’ and then press Enter.

c.       Select ‘Network and Internet’ and click ‘Network adapter’ and then click next.

Method 2: I would suggest you to perform the following methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

a.       Press ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.

b.      In the search box, type cmd then click Run as administrator

c.       At the command prompt, type the following:

ipconfig/release

ipconfig/renew

ipconfig/flushdns

d.      Exit the command prompt

e.      Press ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.

f.        In the search box, type: %temp% and hit Enter

g.       Delete contents of the temp folder

h.      Restart your system and try downloading again from the mail you received.

i.         If the problems persist, try resetting your router if you are connected one.

j.        Power down the router, disconnect it, wait 10 minutes.

k.       Reconnect it, power up again

l.         Reconnect the Ethernet cable

Hope this information helps. For any further Windows related assistance, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.