all windows 8 metro apps show offline unable to load

I am very very frustrated.

None of my windows 8 metro apps are loading. Most say I am offline, when I can clearly go to desktop and be connected.

It is not the resolution b/c I was using the same (native) resolution before without a problem. That did not work.

It is not the proxy b/c I am NOT behind a proxy. That did not work.

I tried changing the UAC (user account control) settings to default or always notify. That did not work.

I tried disabling the firewall. That did not work.

I tried disabling my antivirus (and Windows Live Defender). That did not work.

I tried deleting my user account and recreating it. That did not work.

I am running out of options and this is ridiculous. I know I can simply use the desktop for everything online and forget about the metro apps... BUT I purchased this upgrade! I could have kept Windows 7 if I was only going to use the desktop!

I can try to refresh my computer... but I have MS Office 2010 which I installed after the upgrade, and don't want to go through that reinstall all over again.

Please Microsoft, provide a solution for this... or it might become your Vista all over.

3/10 Update:

After I got tired of trying everything I went on and refreshed my copy of Windows 8... That did not work!!! I went back and none of the metro apps work, they still say I am not connected to the internet when I am.

This is just ridiculous.

Question Info

Last updated March 31, 2018 Views 8,577 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Eli,

Welcome to Microsoft community and thank you for the post.

As per the description of the issue all the apps shows offline and you are unable to use them. I understand that it could be inconvenient. I appreciate the efforts which you have put to resolve the issue.

We require some more information from you to assist you with this issue.

What is the exact/complete error message which you get?

You have mentioned in the description that you have tried most of the troubleshooting methods. I would like to suggest you few trubleshooting methods given here.

Method 1:

Step 1: Run the Modern UI App troubleshooter and check if it helps.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

Step 2:

Please go through the following link for troubleshooting.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

Method 2: Place the computer in Clean Boot and check for the issue.

Place the computer in a clean boot state and then check if it helps. You can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Method 3:

Step 1: Run the Internet connections troubleshooter:

I would suggest you to follow these steps and run the Internet connections troubleshooter:

a)       Press Windows key + W to search Settings.

b)      Type “Troubleshoot” without quotes and click on Troubleshooting in the results displayed on the left side of the screen.

c)       In the new window, click View all which is towards the left side of the screen.

d)      In the list of options, click on Internet Connections.

e)       Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions. 

Step 2: Perform SFC scan on your computer.

Sfc /scannow will inspect all of the important Windows files on your computer, including Windows DLL files. If System File Checker finds an issue with any of these protected files, it will replace it.

Follow the steps:

a)       Press “Windows Key + Q” to open Charms Bar.

b)      Type “cmd” without quotes in the search box.

c)       On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d)      Type ‘sfc /scannow’ without quotes and hit enter.

Feel free to write if you still face this issue with the Apps. We will be happy to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

PranavMishra5582,

I went ahead and ran the Modern UI App troubleshooter. It said it found and corrected two problems and I needed to restart the computer. I restarted, and still could not connect through any metro style apps.

I then proceeded to do a Clean Boot. There were only three non-Microsoft services there, I disabled them all, and also disabled all the startup loading apps. Restarted, and still could not open any metro style app.

I then ran the internet connection troubleshooter and found no problems, and also the Internet Explorer Safety troubleshooter and also found no problems.

Finally I ran the sfc/scannow and got a message "Windows Resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

Still when I try to open a metro app, I get the "offline" indicator, but my desktop clearly has connectivity.

Here is my question now:

I bought that laptop with Windows 7 on it, and took advantage of the windows upgrade offer (http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com) to upgrade it to Windows 8. I bought the upgrade online, but now the offer is no longer there, and I have no way of getting the Windows Product Key. If I decide to Reset my Windows 8 to fix the metro style apps not working issue, will it ask for the Product Key again? I am afraid that if I reset and do not have the Product Key, I will end up unable to reinstall Windows 8.
Please help.

Eli

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

After having my reply ignored about this problem (that apparently is very common), I reformatted my computer and reinstalled Windows 8. All apps are working now, but the sad thing is: I have no guarantee that they will not go back to unusable state any day.

I wish there was another way, but if anyone is going through the same situation, I've tried it all and had to resort to reformatting :(

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a very common problem with windows 8. Actually all these windows 8 metro apps do not work when there is limited connectivity, though the internet is working properly.

I have seen so many forum question in Microsoft related to similar issue, and there is no reply from the MS developers for the fix of limited connectivity. Whenever there is the question for limited connectivity fix they say try repairing and troubleshoot your network adapter. MS guys that's the first thing we do!!

If you have no option to fix this issue then simply give a method to remove limited connectivity feature so that Ethernet always show connected, whether or whether not there is internet connectivity. In my institute there are 500+ windows 8 users having the same issue.

And guys yes SFC scan will not heal your offline problems, so please do not waste your time in it, the ultimate method is to refresh your PC which may resolve the issue for may be 1 hour to 10 days not more than that, and you will be loosing all your apps and settings, so please think before doing it.

Regards,

A frustrated windows 8 user.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here, I have refreshed twice now and after the initial excitement of apparently "fixing" the problem, the next time I try to check the weather with the handy live tile I am rewarded with a forecast from yesterday!  I wonder if this is something to do with my router throwing the settings.  Despite trying the obvious restart of the router, I am still apparently off line for apps but fine for desktop. 

This is poor software.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

my apps are now offline also ,i think i am gonna reinstall windows since microsoft wont help .if anyone manages to find what causes this pliz say so cause i know its just a matter of time before they go awol again

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the exact same problems on my PC with none of my Metro apps ever able to connect, and have just lived with it as a way of life for a while now by just going to the desktop mode for access to the internet instead. I get so frustrated every time I think I'm going to be able to fix it again since I've already tried everything, except formatting and reinstalling Windows. I'm now considering rolling back to Windows 7 as my best solution.

I really hope this doesn't ever happen with my Surface Pro since it doesn't look like I'll ever be able to roll it back to Windows 7.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

These solution don't actually do anything to the connectivity and probably won't solve the problem but would keep some people busy for some time.

It would be more helpful if you could elaborate how the Modern apps establish if a network connection is available or not and if it is limited.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posts that start with "My name is xx. I am an Independent Advisor. " are ignored by me.

Sorry this didn't help.

A partial solution is installing Fiddler Web Debugger (v4.4.5.1) and activating win8 config does help. And as long as you keep the fiddler active you can access most metro apps.
Some (music, wheather)still don't work saying you have no network. At least the store works so you can install more apps. 

Sorry this didn't help.

My problem is the same I think,  Any app that requires connecting to the internet will not work.  IE10, Mail, Store, news, sport, travel ... etc.  Desktop IE works fine. I have just tried Fiddler as above and now IE 10 works but the other apps do not.  I tried logging in locally this did not work but I then could not log back in to my Microsoft account as it could not connect.

I have been using windows 8 for nearly a year and this problem only started last week my email was received 24th September.  I have tried all the suggestions from various forums, most are the same.  Has anybody come across any different ideas?

Cheers Clive

Sorry this didn't help.