Windows 8 Wired XBOX 360 Controller Problems

On my old Windows 7 computer I just plugged it in and could use it. But on my new Windows 8 pc, when I plugged it in, it installed it and recognizes it as a 'XBOX 360 Wireless Controller via Play & Charge Kit'. The wire shows that it is recharging, and when I press the green middle Xbox button it just starts flashing and doesn't seem to work on any games 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forums.

From the description, I understand that Xbox 360 controller is not working on your Windows 8 computer.

1.       Are you referring to Wired or Wireless Xbox360 controller?

2.       Do you get any error message?

I would recommend you to follow the below given methods and check if it fixes the issue.

Method 1: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter

The Hardware Troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues with it and provides the details and on how to fix them.

Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.

a) Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.

b) Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.

c) In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.

d) Click on “Hardware and Devices”.

e) Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

f) Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Method 2: I would suggest you to download and install the drivers for Windows 7 in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

Refer to the links: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

What is program compatibility?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-program-compatibility

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Also refer to: Using the Xbox 360 controller for Windows

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/pc-games/xbox-controller-for-windows-info

Hope this information will help you.

For any other Windows related issue, reply to us and we will be happy to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

well it seems nobody helping in the xbox community to fix this problem , i have exactly the same problem and tried every way to fix it but nothing changed its just keeps flashing all day .

well microsoft try to do something regarding this issue with your new os ?!??!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem and the options you have provided are not working. I also have a wired controller, have installed the software in compatibility mode and my device says it's connected "via the play & charge kit" as well but I won't connect and the lights just flash. Is there a way to sync the device to the computer or solve this problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

wait nvm I have a wireless controller connected via the play and charge kit. will a regular wired controller work on windows 8?

Sorry this didn't help.

None of these supposed "fixes" work. Though from what I've been able to tell, the 360 controllers don't work with USB 3.0, so what exactly is the point of upgrading, when nothing is backwards compatible anymore?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you ever find any resolve?

I have this exact problem. My controller just blinks. It is a wireless connected over a wire plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue on windows 8.1! It works like a charm on my old windows Xp pc? Don't know whats up with that...??? You would think it will work better on the new OS? How can a microsoft product not be compatible with a microsoft product makes no sense. But third party controllers work fine? Its a confusing issue that needs to be solved!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

its already been a year and microsoft still havent solve this issue? seriously what the heck, leaving us on our own

Sorry this didn't help.

yeah I know but the same problem happens to me: I wait for the darn wireless controller that's wired into a usb 3.0 and I try to use compatibility on windows 7 om my windows 8.1 but it doesn't find it

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Just in the chance anyone else happens across this thread and doesn't fully read the first reply by Manjunath Siddappa I'll give a quick update on what most of the posters here are struggling with. If you have a Wireless Xbox 360 controller and it is connected via the play and charge kit, you will still need to use the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for PC. This is because the play and charge kit does not transmit data from the controller to the PC (or Xbox) and is simply charging the controller. I've included a link to the receiver from Amazon but feel free to shop around.  

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows/dp/B000HZFCT2/ref=sr_1_47?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397169996&sr=1-47

The other option you have is to purchase an actual Wired Xbox 360 Controller which does communicate with the PC (or Xbox) via the USB cable. I've also included an Amazon link for this for convenience, again feel free to shop around.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Wired-Controller/dp/B003ZSN600/ref=sr_1_18?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397170346&sr=1-18

Lastly the instructions to configure either option can be found at the link below. The key take away here is that the play and charge kit does not provide communication to the PC (or Xbox) it is just a charging cable that allows you to charge the controller while continuing to use it. The reason why your controller rings are just blinking is because it's searching for the wireless reciever (either built into the Xbox 360, or the USB receiver for the PC).

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-other-devices/windows/xbox-controller-for-windows-setup

Hope this helps,

-Patrick 

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2020 Views 12,699 Applies to: