Windows 8 problem with Logitech keyboard/mouse and typing shifted special characters.

I have Iinstalled Windows 8 Pro on two different desktops. Bothe have problems with the mouse and keyboard. On one the Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard stopped working completely. Several replacement wireless mouse/keyboards also refuse to work. When the wireless keyboard/mouse were replaced with a wired mouse/keyboard, all works well. The second system also had been using a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse. On this sytem all works well except in all browsers (IE, Firefox & Chrome) the Shift key won't type the characters above the numbers making it impossible to write addresses, etc as the @ won't type. Am I the only one with keyboard and mouse problems like the above?
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Weyoun7,

Welcome to the Windows 8 Community!

From your issue description I understand that Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard stopped working completely after installing Windows 8. I can imagine how much disappointing that must be. Do not worry; let us work together and get this issue fixed as early as possible.

I would suggest you to perform the following methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Run Hardware troubleshooter for mouse and keyboard

You can try using the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to fix the problem. It checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering hardware and devices in the search box, tapping or clicking Settings, and then tapping or clicking Find and fix problems with devices.  You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice. 

Method 2:  Check Windows Update for drivers for mouse and keyboard.

1.  Open Windows Update in Control Panel by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or, if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering Windows Update in the search box, tapping or clicking Settings, and then tapping or clicking Install optional updates. 

2.  Tap or click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your PC. 

3.  If updates are found, tap or click Install updates.

Read and accept the license terms, and then tap or click Finish if the update requires it.  You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice. 

I would suggest you to refer to the following article and perform the steps mentioned under “Update driver” section.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/printer-problems-in-windows-help#fix-printer-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab4&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Method 3: install the driver in compatibility mode for mouse and driver

Driver hangs during install can be caused by a corrupt driver download. Download the driver and try the install again. You may also try installing the driver in compatibility mode.

1.  Long press or right click the driver installation file and select Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab. 

2.  Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box. 

3.  Tap or click the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click OK. 

4.  Try installing the driver again. 

Method 4: Check in Onscreen Keyboard
a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b) In the ‘Run’ windows type “OSK” and click ‘Ok’.

Hope it helps. For any further Windows related assistance, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.

Regards!

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem with a Logitech K400 keyboard and the numbers row in both the IE and Chrime browsers. None of the suggested methods above have been effective in resolving this. In particular, the OSK shows that the system is refusing to recognize numbers and special characters inside the browsers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My problem has only just occurred, as the mouse was working just fine.

I dont have a touch screen, so trying to resolve anything without a mouse is even more difficult in win 8.

Managed to install the latest drivers for my Logitech Optical Trackman and have tried disabling USB legacy support in the BIOS (reenabled now as didnt make any difference).

Also tried connecting mouse using PS2 USB adaptor.

Nothing works, mouse moves slightly then returns to old position :(

How can I resolve this crazy issue, as there don't seem to be keyboard shortcuts for everything???????????????????

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same keyboard with my HP keyboard - can anyone help us?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also having same problem with HP keyboard. The shift key characters work fine in MS Word but not in any browser log-in fields or on-line forms. I have to keep Word open and copy  and paste my e-mail address and anything else that contains a character just to log into sites. I've run the troubleshooter in HP, checked settings in hardware [says this device is working properly], changed keyboard language layouts, trying several different English options. Nothing seems to work. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank goodness for my IPad.  My MS Word also works but not my IE or Chrome.  I hope MS can fix this soon.  Has anyone replaced their keyboard with a new MS keyboard and it fixed the problem?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

From my own experiences I found that removing the Logitech software completely, restarting the machine and then re-installing did the trick!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried a new MS keyboard that is compatible with Windows 8 and it did not work, so I checked for fix's and was quoted $99.95 to $498 for tech support  Therefore, the desktop is being retired and I my go with a Apple machine next.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem on 2 computers I just upgraded to windows 8 on.  One of my old keyboards was giving me a fit so I bought a new set with the windows 8 logo and now, neither of my keyboards work with the browsers.  IE, Chrome or FireFox. Seem to work fine some other programs.  Don't know how many. 

So far, Windows 8 has cost me a bundle in time and effort alone to make it not really worth the trouble.  Should have waited I guess..

I have tried the #4 solution and it does work.  That will make it easier to use the signs like @ etc.  Nice way to run a program. 

When I checked the drivers for the keyboard, they were from the Windows 7  OS and were 2006 vintage.  I did download new drivers from Logitech and uninstalled the old drivers but my problem is still making itself known. It did correct some of the problems I was having but not the main one. which is the number and signs... 

Both of the desk top machines I have are 64 bit machines. I notice that the software and drivers listed in the Device Manager lists the 32 bit software.  I cannot locate any specific 64 bit software from Windows but I did download the 64 bit drivers from Logitech. That did not help the problem go away. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to control Panel and check Region, and Language applets. Make sure both are set to the Country you are in or using.

If in the US set them to United States.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2020 Views 17,238 Applies to: