Windows 8 Modern UI apps will not start up, incorrectly claiming that my resolution is too low.

For some unknown reason, in the last two weeks or so, many of the built-in Windows 8 Modern UI apps (Weather, Finance, Travel, Sports) and some downloaded from the store (NBCNews and Google Search) simply do not work although some, like the Kindle app and the Skydrive app, still work. By "not work," I mean that I will turn on the app and less than 1 second after attempting to load, the app just auto-closes.

When I downloaded the Apps Troubleshooter app here (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app), it tells me that my resolution is set too low but this is not true as I am running Windows 8 on a retina MacBook Pro running at 2880X1800 resolution (text scaling at 200%). When I allow the Apps Troubleshooter app to try and change the resolution, it cannot do so and just reports afterwards that it cannot do so.

I am not sure how to fix this as it has never happened before prior to about two weeks ago or so. Change the resolution or text scaling does not fix anything. Likewise, when I remove the video driver and revert to the basic Microsoft Display driver, it also does not fix anything.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community forums.

I understand that apps fail to open in Windows 8 installed in MacBook.

Let us follow the methods given below and check if the issue persists.

Method 1: Perform Clean Boot.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: Reset the computer to start as usual.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Let us also try disabling third party security software.

Method 2: Disable third-party Security Software

a)      On your Computer screen Task Bar next to System Clock..

b)      You will see the third-party Security Software Icon.

c)      Click on the third-party Security Software Icon, you will see a pop up.

d)      In that pop and select the option to disable, click on it.

Now the third-party Security Software will be disabled.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Check for the date and time.

Method 3: Check if the date, time and time zone are set according to your time and time zone.

Follow these steps to set the date and time:

a) Press Windows key + C on your keyboard to show the Charms bar.

b) Type “Date and Time” in the charms bar search.

c) Click Change date and time button (To change the time zone click on time zone tab).

d) Click Apply and Ok to save the date and time.

We can also try disabling proxy connection.

Method 4: Disable proxy Connection.

Follow the steps to disable proxy connection.

a) Click the Gearbox at the top right corner in internet explorer.

b) Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

c) Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN settings.

d) Uncheck the Use a proxy server for your LAN check box.

e) Click on ok.

Hope the information helps to fix the issue you had with apps in Windows 8, if you have any further queries or any queries related to Windows, feel free to post. We will be glad to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 290 Applies to: