Windows 8 KVM switch

I have seen several questions like mine: I am trying to run one XP machine and one Windows 8 machine thru a VGA monitor.  Both machines work fine when connected directly to the monitor, and the XP machine works with an older KVM switch.  I cannot seem to find a KVM that will work with the Windows 8 machine.  I don't want to spend hundreds on this thing, and so far no one including Microsoft has been any help.  Any answers, anyone???
|
Answer
Answer

When I use my KVM switch, there is no signal or whatever from the machine that is powered on, but switched off, other than an indicater light on the KVM

I do know that which ever machine I am booting must connected by the KVM to the monitor and etc. ASAP after powering on.  Otherwise graphics drivers don't load properly...along with some others.

USB keyboards and mice more than likely will have issues also.

XP is much less sensitive to this for some reason, but still may end up with the graphics at 800x600 instead of 1280x1024 for example.

I don't know if it will solve your problem, but switch the KVM to the Win 8 machine before powering it on, or ASAP and see what happens. Start it first instead of the XP machine and see if that helps.

Also...is it possible that your switch is malfunctioning?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 9, 2018 Views 5,111 Applies to: