Windows 8 Kernel mode drivers

I'm trying to load Brother printer drivers for Windows 8 off of the website and am getting an error indicating that I can't install a kernel-mode driver.  Am being told by the printer manufacturer that I have to change settings on my computer to allow kernel mode drivers.  How do I do this?
Answer
Answer

I actually had to figure this out for myself after hiring a computer company to come in to try and fix my problem.

The end result is that my laptop has a program on it called "Driver Manager".  I ended up going into the properties (right click on the icon), went into the "security" tab and clicked on all the "special permissions" buttons until the driver manager program allowed me to be set up as the administrator.

Once I did this, I didn't end up having any more "kernel mode driver errors" and the drivers downloaded with no further problems.

Funny thing is that I bought my laptop 1 month earlier than my business partner (both running Windows 8).  His computer downloaded the drivers the first time no problem.  I spend days trying to get mine to download.  His computer didn't end up having the same driver manager program that mine did.

Hope this helps.  I know your frustration!

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2020 Views 12,527 Applies to: