windows 8 is recognizing my printer usb as a composite usb

I hooked up my Brother MFC 7860 printer to my new Windows8 laptop and all was fine.  However, after printing successfully for a day, I connected that same laptop to two new USB devices 1) a USB "splitter" that splits 1 USB port to 4 and 2) an ethernet cable adapter that allows me to connect my ethernet cable to my USB port (since I have no ethernet port on my laptop).  Ever since I connected those two devices, Windows 8 does not recognize my printer as a printer.  Instead, whenever I plug it in, it recognizes it as a "USB Composite Device".  Therefore, I can't print. 

Help.  

Question Info

Last updated August 5, 2018 Views 9,974 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

A USB composite device refers to a single gadget that has the capability of providing multiple functions, as you have connected the USB splitter to the USB port the devices you connect to the USB Splitter will be detected as USB Composite Device.

The USB splitter is not directly connected to the Motherboard of the computer and thus it will detect the devices as USB composite devices. You may check if the printer is detected as printer on the computer by directly connecting it to the USB port.

Hope this information helps, if you need further assistance on Windows let us know we will be glad to help.

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.