Windows 8 Does not recognize my dvd/bluray drive

Specifically my LG Bluray writer which uses which uses cyberlink powerdvd 10 programming cannot seem to recognize my graphics driver.  I was told by LG support that the problem can be solved using the troubleshooter found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116.

The troubleshooter, however, does not work with windows 8.  I am hesitant to mess around the registry unless someone has had this problem and has fixed it.

Can someone please let me know if the windows 7 solution for this problem is the same solution for windows 8?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for choosing Windows 8 and thanks for providing us an opportunity to assist you.
  • What exactly is the problem you are facing? Is Windows 8 not recognizing your DVD drive or your graphics driver?
  • Are you able see your DVD drive in Windows explorer?
  • Do you get any error messages when you insert a disc?

If you are facing issues with your DVD drive, I would suggest you to check these steps:

Method 1: Hardware and devices troubleshooter

The troubleshooter in the link you have mentioned is designed for Windows 7. You can run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 8 and check by following these steps:

a) Press Windows Key + X, select control panel
b) Change the ‘view by’ option on the top right to ‘Larger icons’
c) Select the Troubleshooting option and click ‘view all’ on the left panel
d) Run the ‘Hardware and devices ‘troubleshooter.

Method 2: Update driver

a) Press Windows key + X, select device manager
b) Locate your DVD drive, right click and select properties
c) Click on the drivers tab and select update driver.

For more information, you can also check this link:

Hope this helps. If you have any further issues, please get back to us and we would be happy to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having a similar problem since installing Windows 8 as a dual-boot.  Windows 8 does not recognize my BD-ROM drive.  I have a Samsung SH-123L (LightScribe) BD-ROM drive installed on a SATA connection.  The Samsung web site does not recognize SH-123L as a model so I am unable to get any driver information from the site.  My drive is not recognized at all, so I can't make any changes to drivers or get any error messages.  My ASUS DVD-RW drive is recognized and functions properly.  Both the BD-ROM and DVD-RW drives work properly when I boot the legacy Windows 7 OS.

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you forget the B Mat?? But there are no drivers there.

Try another SATA connection / port. And make sure (if the data cable is bent on one end), that end is on the mobo.

Does the BIOS see the Samsung Mat??

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

First, try this from another post....

1. Run Command Prompt as an Administrator. Type cmd in Windows 8 Metro UI and press cltr+shift+enter, or right click on lower left corner when Start pops up.

2. Type or copy\paste the following and hit enter

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

3. Reboot the system

Second, if this doesn't solve the problem, it may be necessary to uninstall PowerDVD to get your drive to work...there are sometimes issues. Once you get the drive to work you could try reinstalling it.

PowerDVD pretty much disabled my Virtual CD\DVD drive, and I had uninstall it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I did forget to include the "B" to indicate the drive is Blu-ray.  As you indicated, there are no drivers available.  This is strange, since at one point several years ago, I completed a firmware upgrade using the software I downloaded from the Samsung site.

The BIOS sees the drive.  If I enter setup during boot, I can see the drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

This isn't a driver problem...there are various issues with Win 8, some types of software, and problems with some Toshiba machines.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the issues are driver related.

Try the Reg edit in a previouse reply, and possibly trying a different SATA plug as mentioned.

Does the drive showup in Device Manager, or Disk Mnagement?

Are you running any type of Roxio, Sonic, or CyberLink software ?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried the regedit string from the elevated command prompt.  The command was accepted but it didn't change the situation as far as I can see.  I do have CyberLink PowerDVD 11 installed.  I don't have Roxio installed but I do have Nero 12.

I haven't pulled the cover off to swap SATA cables yet. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Again,

Nero shouldn't be a problem, but the PowerDVD more than likely is.

The only way to kow for sure is to uninstall it. Even better would be a backup image from before it was installed, if available.

Sorry this didn't help.

I now am able to see my BD-ROM drive and can use it for recording, playback, etc.  I wish I could say conclusively that the regedit feature did the trick, but I can't.  I didn't uninstall Nero or PowerDVD.  I was working with Acronis Disk Director on some drive partitions and had to move between my dual boots of Win 7 and Win 8.  After doing some things on the Win 7 side of my machine and returning to Win 8, the drive is now active. 

Thanks for the help, in any event.  I'm grateful that there are knowledgeable people out there who are willing to help.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been through several discussion about an issue with windows 8 out of which the DVD /CD drives no longer get detected. well here is some explanation to it and a way to make it work if it is not working as expected.

Zero Power Optical Disk Drive

Zero Power Optical Disk Drive (Zero Power ODD or ZPODD) is one of many new Windows 8 features introduced for power efficiency. On a system enabled with ZPODD, when Windows 8 detects that there is no media in an optical drive, power to the optical drive is cut off. As soon as the user attempts to use the optical drive, power to the optical drive automatically resumes and the user will be able to use the optical drive immediately, unaware that the power to the device was ever turned off. Everything happens in the background and normal user interaction is not affected. ZPODD applies only to optical drives that use the slimline SATA connector and is typically found on laptops. Some servers and desktops also use a slimline SATA connector for optical drives.
In order for ZPODD to work, the ZPODD feature must be supported by the optical drive, the motherboard, and the BIOS.
In some cases even after inserting a Disk in the drive, the drive icon still doesn't show up. you may follow the steps below to make that work.

1. Run Command Prompt as an  Administrator. Directly type cmd in the new Start Screen(a.k.a Windows 8 Metro UI) and press cltr+shift+enter.

Now copy the following , right click command prompt and select paste and the Enter.
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

2.Reboot the system
3.Verify if the problem has been resolved.

Regards,

Manish Kumar

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2020 Views 31,066 Applies to: