Windows 8 cannot see blu-ray disc in drive

I have a blu-ray drive (Lite-On) which Windows 8 recognizes as ATAPI BD B DH12B2SH, but when I put a blu-ray in the drive it doesn't not recogizine that there is a disc in the drive. Putting in a DVD or CD and windows see it fine, but any blu-ray it considers the drive to be empty.

I have checked that the firmware for the drive is up to date, and tried to find a windows 8 driver, but no luck.
More often than not when a device doesn't function it is because the driver has been corrupted.

Try re-installing yours.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly?SignedIn=1

http://captaindbg.com/how-to-update-drivers-on-windows-7/
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, for the info, but those links are for windows 7, this is on windows 8.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've run Cyberlink BD Advisor and it found no problems, saying that I shold be able to see Blu-Rays.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I get this in device manager

This device is working properly.

Windows did not start a related device driver. To learn more, click the Driver tab and then click Driver Details.

further investigation reveals my firmware needs updating, unfortunately mine is an LG and no firmware is available as yet

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a blu-ray drive (Lite-On) which Windows 8 recognizes as ATAPI BD B DH12B2SH, but when I put a blu-ray in the drive it doesn't not recogizine that there is a disc in the drive. Putting in a DVD or CD and windows see it fine, but any blu-ray it considers the drive to be empty.

I have checked that the firmware for the drive is up to date, and tried to find a windows 8 driver, but no luck.

I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM

Except my drive is a Pioneer Blu-ray BDR-208DBK

I tried to play a rented Blu-ray movie for the first time and it does exactly as you wrote above.

DVD or CD works fine, same.

There is no firmware update available. There is no other MS driver to use for the device.

I'm continuing to research the problem.

http://club.myce.com/f87/bdr-208-not-loading-blu-comercial-movie-333317/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a variation of the same problem. I've a Loaded WIN 8 Lenovo K430  The optical drive is shown as a PLDS BD DH12B2SH.  (Blu-Ray burner and CD/DVD/BD reader)

Some Blue rays are recognized, others will not play or the pictures and/or sound are not useable...

For example the latest Star Trek Movie plays.  Cloud Atlas tries to load and fails. Looper has severe distortion in Sound and mild distortion in video..... The DVD versions play fine....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It appears that the problem I had was with one disc, Star Trek, rented. It simply did nothing except spin for a bit and then off. Nothing in explorer, just indicating the 'Drive is empty'. 

So, I bought a few blank 25g Blu-rays and inserted one. It was detected correctly. Win8 asked me what I wanted to do with the disc so I indicated I wanted to write files to it. It then did a quick configuration and I wrote 25gigs worth of files to the disc with no problems.

After this all Blu-ray movies I rented, detected within a number of seconds. I acquired the Star Trek from another source and it too detected and played flawlessly. I've been unable to acquire the original disc that would not load.

What's the answer !? I don't know for sure. A bad Star Trek disc .. maybe; although it did not look physically bad at all.

Loading in the blank disc caused Win8 to configure something that enabled the detection ... maybe that too.

I use a good Blu-ray player of course. All BD movies have and continue to play fine, no problems.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks DLW

This is a great response.

However, the results vary from Blue-Ray disc to Blue Ray disc. Some play perfectly while other's don't.  The BD DVD Software is updated with the latest upgrade. The PC is about three months old.    I had a Dell laptop that only failed on one Blue ray disc using the same software, 

All of the discs play fine in the Sony Home Entertainment player. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 18, 2018 Views 2,595 Applies to: