Windows 8 - After Standby monitor displays "Imput signal out of range"

Currently I have a dual monitor computer as my primary here at work. the main monitor is a 21" widescreen ViewSonic and the secondary screen is a 19" HP Compaq monitor. When booting up the computer or during use the two monitors work fine. However is the computer goes to Sleep or standby mode, the second monitor (HP monitor) gives an error message "Input single out of range". If I adjust the monitor resolution the screen returns to normal (even when the settings are returned to their original setting prior to the issue).

This issue only seems to occur on the current operating system (Windows 8 Enterprise). On several flavor of Windows 7 this issue never occurred. The only thing unusual installed on the machine is Start8. But the issue occurred prior to installing Start8.

Anyone experiencing anything similar?

Hi Nazerith,

Thank you for choosing Windows 8 and thanks for providing us an opportunity to assist you.

As per the description, the second monitor gives error message “"Input signal out of range" after waking the computer from sleep mode.

I have provided methods to fix the monitor and display driver issue. Please follow each method carefully. If one method doesn't work, proceed with the next methods to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Use a troubleshooter to fix the issue:

a.  Type " Windows key+ R” on the keyboard

b.  Open "Troubleshooting"

c.  Click on “Troubleshooting”

d.  Click on “Hardware and Sound”

e.  Select Hardware and devices,

f.   Restart your computer after the process.

Method 2: Reboot the computer into Safe mode. Once in Safe Mode, decrease the video resolution to a resolution that's supported by the monitor.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

If you've changed the monitor resolution, reboot the computer to see if this resolves the issue.

Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the driver from Device manager:

a. Type in "Device manager" in Start screen and select “Settings" below

b. In device manger, right click on the Display driver and select uninstall.

c. Restart the computer and download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

Please post back if you are still experiencing the issue. I will be glad to provide you with additional options.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 6, 2020 Views 3,086 Applies to: