Question

Q: Windows 8 - adobe_plugin.exe high cpu usage

I am having an issue with adobe_plugin.exe (located at C:\Users\~name~\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Plugins)

It runs continuously at 90-100% CPU usage until I kill it.  I can only figure that Windows has installed it because the time/date stamp is earlier than any additional software that I have installed.  On my previous installation I tried deleting it (should have renamed it instead, duh) and after every boot was given the message that the file could not be located.

Don't know if this had anything to do with the many following issues that occurred, but I suspect that it might have been part of it (some seemingly unrelated services were broken, my WHS 2011 launchpad & VMWare Workstation were also broken).

I've done hours of searching but can't seem to find anybody with the same issue??

Me too.

After using Adobe Reader (32bit) the CPU runs continuously until I kill it.  I upgraded to Windows 8 last month and this problem has happened since upgrade.  I reinstalled Adobe Reader but  that did not fix it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I decided to build a Win8 VMWare system to find out where the adobe_plugin.exe came from.  It is not installed by Windows I found out, it came from installing Roboform password manager.  I have heard of issues with Flash and Reader, however I don't believe this has anything to do with the executable I am referring to.

Sorry this didn't help.

Based on NOD32 it's a variant of Win32/BitCoinMiner.K application which basically scans your HDD for bitcoin data files and sends them to the master control it connects to, if you have Sysinternals' Process Explorer you'll see it in the TCP/IP tab... if you don't play online games which use such bitcoins you're safe, remove it from the Run registry (you can do this with Sysinternals Autoruns - it's masked as invisi vbs script) and the files from that location and that's about it.

To me it came hidden in a Sandboxie installer... it got past because I disabled in EAV the scanning of potentially unsafe applications, this also tells me it's not harmful, at least to me it's not. Damn CPU, I need to make an upgrade... soon.

It most likely comes with applications downloaded form dodgy places... so be aware where you get your crackware.

Sorry this didn't help.

I removed it, downloaded Roboform from their site, installed it - no adobe_plugin.exe this time.

I have a quad-core/16 gb memory installed and was at 99% cpu usage with that junk.  You are correct about being careful where software is downloaded from.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,759 Last updated: March 24, 2018 Applies to: