Question

Window 8 BSOD. DPC Watchdog Violations. Updated all driver.

Anthony Poon asked on
Hi, 

I am having trouble with a Samsung NP900x3E-K01HK note book. BSOD DPC Watchdog Violations. Attached my minidump and memory dump here

minidump: 

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=77C712E362AEAA7A!108&authkey=!AJmaTMhVqq71_rg&ithint=file%2c.rar

Memory Dump:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=77C712E362AEAA7A!107&authkey=!AIYe7vaiSPDq6W8&ithint=file%2c.rar

I have updated all driver to the last. Updating window 8.1 is not an option for now unless we are CERTAIN that the update will solve the issues. The user is using a usb splitter, usb mouse, usb keyboard, and a hand writing device. All of the device mentioned above have been replaced once but it will causing issues.  The only thing that was NOT replaced was user's monitor and the power supply.

The most frustrating thing is that we are not able to reproduce the problem. Only the user experienced it.

Your help in the matter is much appericated
3 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Patrick Barker replied on

Great!

Let's answer your questions:

1. If the crashes have ceased since removal, yes, it was the cause as analyzed in WinDbg.

2. Correct! What seemed to be occurring was the DPC may have been looping itself by gathering a Spinlock at DPC Level, cancelling the Timer, and then finally releasing the Spinlock again. This was going into a loop over and over again, apparently caused by IntelliMemory.

The fact that IntelliMemory was found within the stack and is now the likely cause of crash makes perfect sense, actually.

First off, IntelliMemory™ is an intelligent data caching technology that provides faster access to frequently used files. IntelliMemory is supposed to improve latency and throughput by reducing disk I/O requests as active files are predicatively cached within the server to preempt round trips between VMs and network storage.

Remember how we saw various network related routines, etc, during the 0x133 debugging? Well, it's because IntelliMemory was the driver that was causing the loop.

3. That is the only question I cannot answer, because there is no proof as to when it happens. I am going to go ahead and assume it will happen whenever the IntelliMemory driver is called for whatever reason.

Regards,

Patrick
Debugger/Reverse Engineer.
1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

progress