When i upgraded to windows 8 my DVD drive is not reading DVDs but it can read CDs and write/burn DVDs, it also shows up to date driver ,what should i do..?

When i upgraded to windows 8  my DVD drive is not reading DVDs but it can read CDs and write/burn DVDs, it also shows up to date driver ,what should i do..?
|

Hi Akash,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for the post.

From the description I understand that after you have upgraded to Windows 8 CD/DVD ROM cannot read DVD.

Write to us with the following information.

1) Do you get any error when you insert the DVD to be read?
2) Is the issue specific to any particular DVD?
3) What is the make and model of your computer?
4) Did you make any hardware changes to your computer prior to this issue?

I would like to suggest you that Windows 8 doesn’t support DVD playback.

Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro don't come with DVD movie playback capability. If you're running Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro you can search for a DVD player app in the Windows Store.

If you have Windows 8 Pro, you can buy the Windows Media Center Pack that includes DVD playback. Click on the link here fore more information.

For further assistance you can install any third party software to play DVD.

Disclaimer: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

In future if you have any other issues related to Windows, please write to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Pranav Mishra,
      I don't get any error when i inserted DVD, but it shows that DVD is blank which i wrote in my PC after upgrade to WINDOWS 8 PRO and same DVD can read by another PC with Windows 7 OS.
My PC can read the DVDs which were write/burn before upgrade. 
      My PC is ACER ASPIRE 5738G and from device manager DVD drive is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT30N with driver version 6.2.9200.16384 provided by Microsoft. It shows device status "This device is working properly."
Please give me solution.
Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Akash,

Thank you for the reply.

I would like to inform you that this is by design. Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro don't come with DVD movie playback capability.

Go to the link given here download the Chipset drivers and install it once again and check for the issue.

http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=1087

You can install the drivers in compatibility mode. Refer to the link given here

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

I hope this resolves your issue, please feel free to write to us if you have any other Windows related

issues.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"Windows 8 Pro don't come with DVD movie playback capability" is understandable.

However, the Windows 8 Pro should at least read the files on the DVD-RW Drive, when clicked in File Explorer, which doesn't take place.

This is the problem I am facing after upgrading to 'Windows 8 Pro' on my Sony Vaio laptop.

I installed Third Party Software - 'iMedia Player' and 'VK Media Player' - also but the problem persists.

Solution please ?

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2020 Views 2,248 Applies to: