USB2.0 driver: Webcam not recognized when upgrading to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

The integrated "Exmor"-based webcam on my Sony VAIO VPCF22KFX laptop is no longer recognized by the OS. Under Windows 7 64-bit, the webcam worked flawlessly. Sony's web site reports this laptop model as Windows 8-ready. When I upgraded to Windows 8, it was recognized about 50% of the time after booting up under Device Manager > Imaging devices > USB2.0. After a few days, it stopped showing up altogether and cannot be found either when the Device Manager's "hidden" option is selected.

I went through uninstalling the unrecognized device, re-upgrading the OS,, single-patch updates from Sony, etc., but the result is the same.  Sony does not explicitly publish a Windows 7 or Windows 8 driver for the webcam itself.  

UPDATE: A user reported that removing the battery and restarting the laptop resulted in a visible USB video driver and webcam.  I was able to confirm this.  However, after installing all Windows 8 updates and reinstalling the battery, the Device Manager's Imaging Device: USB2.0 video entry grayed-out as disabled.  It reports that the integrated webcam hardware is not installed (code 45).  I'd seen this behavior before and know that removing it won't bring it back, so I've left it intact.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The integrated "Exmor"-based webcam on my Sony VAIO VPCF22KFX laptop is no longer recognized by the OS. Under Windows 7 64-bit, the webcam worked flawlessly. Sony's web site reports this laptop model as Windows 8-ready. When I upgraded to Windows 8, it was recognized about 50% of the time after booting up under Device Manager > Imaging devices > USB2.0. After a few days, it stopped showing up altogether and cannot be found either when the Device Manager's "hidden" option is selected.

I went through uninstalling the unrecognized device, re-upgrading the OS,, single-patch updates from Sony, etc., but the result is the same.  Sony does not explicitly publish a Windows 7 or Windows 8 driver for the webcam itself.  

At the moment, all hardware is reported by the Device Manager utility as recognized except for the following unit, which may or may not point to the webcam. Here's some of the unknown device's info:

GENERAL

Device status: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Hardware Ids: USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE
Compatible Ids: USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE
Location information: Port_#0002.Hub_#0004
Physical Device Object name: \Device\USBPDO-5
Capabilities: 00000040
CM_DEVCAP_RAWDEVICEOK
Problem code: 0000002B

EVENTS

Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&ae927c&0&2 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: null
Class GUID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
Service:
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x2B

Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&ae927c&0&2 was configured.

Driver Name: null
Class GUID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
Driver Date:
Driver Version:
Driver Provider:
Driver Section:
Driver Rank: 0x0
Matching Device ID:
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false

Hardware support - especially drivers and software that allow a device (such as your webcam) to function in a given OS - come from the hardware manufacturer.  Your first line of support *is* Sony.
.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply, Shenan.

From what I observed, the webcam was relying on the generic USB2.0 that showed up under "Imaging devices".  For whatever reason, that entry no longer shows up.  The webcam worked fine under Win7 64-bit and about half the time under Win8. 

Sony hasn't ever explicitly published a driver for the webcam on this model.  They have published a driver installer supporting USB 3.0, among other hw, but that's it.   My take is that Windows 8 doesn't provide the generic driver component(s) anymore and Sony is playing catch-up at the moment. 

I did pose the question on Sony's support community site, but, alas, they're in a transition to a new site that will go online on Nov 19.  Thus, my post here.  Sony support gives 15 minutes of initial troubleshooting, but then contend they have to charge almost $80 for continued support, even though they confirm on their web site that the specific model is Windows 8-compliant. My laptop is still under Fry's support warranty, but I'd rather not ship my laptop for a fix is more than likely is related to a driver or configuration issue.

Guillermo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i have the same problem/issue, i was just wondering if you have found a solution yet?

thanks,
Josh

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not much progress yet, Josh.  I now know that the USB2.0 webcam entry will reappear as active and enabled if you shutdown, remove the battery, and boot up.  However, this entry is grayed out either by Windows 8 updates or by simply reattaching the battery.

I'm at the point of purchasing a USB HD webcam and forget the convenience of the integrated device.  This would be a disappointment: Sony labeled this laptop as Windows 8-ready.

Guillermo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not much progress yet, Josh.  I now know that the USB2.0 webcam entry will reappear as active and enabled if you shutdown, remove the battery, and boot up.  However, this entry is grayed out either by Windows 8 updates or by simply reattaching the battery.

I'm at the point of purchasing a USB HD webcam and forget the convenience of the integrated device.  This would be a disappointment: Sony labeled this laptop as Windows 8-ready.

You mean this web page?
Congratulations! The VPCF22KFX/B is supported for Windows 8.

Where the only listing from the "Individual Files" download site I have found under Windows 8 (64-bit only) for the camera is [disappointingly]:

Camera
File Description ArcSoft Magic-i™ Uninstaller
Release Date 10/22/2012

Version 1.0

File Size 2.89 MB

Description: This utility will uninstall the ArcSoft Magic-i software
.-
Shenan Stanley
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You mean this web page?
Congratulations! The VPCF22KFX/B is supported for Windows 8.

Where the only listing from the "Individual Files" download site I have found under Windows 8 (64-bit only) for the camera is [disappointingly]:

Camera
File Description ArcSoft Magic-i™ Uninstaller
Release Date 10/22/2012

Version 1.0

File Size 2.89 MB

Description: This utility will uninstall the ArcSoft Magic-i software

You got it... that's all there is.  Indeed, disappointing.  I didn't even bother reinstalling the ArcSoft webcam software (Windows 7 list), which works fine as long as the batter hasn't been reinstalled at any point... hard to believe.

Update: I removed the grayed-out USB video entry and now it won't reappear, even after removing the battery and rebooting the laptop. 

Guillermo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Quick update.  I had saved an Event Viewer entry at the time the webcam did work.  The driver it pointed to (or, at least one of them) was the usbvideo.sys.  My understanding is that this is a Microsoft piece.  My take at the moment is that Sony relied on this driver, but it is no longer present under Windows 8.  This point of view is reinforced by a number of support-seeking Sony VAIO laptop users with the same problem that have received recommendations to upgrade from Windows 7 to 8, implying that the driver is in 7 and [hopefully] moves along to the 8 version after the upgrade step.
Guillermo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have spent in excess of 10 hours on the phone with Sony and they still can not sort it out.  There is a "fix" on www.esupport.sony.com under drivers/webcam or camera that is suppose to fix the problem, hasn't worked for me, but Sony does call me back.  Now waiting for another call.  I will post any "good" results if I am so lucky. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I posted the following on Sony's customer support community.  This is the best solution at the moment.  My video camera has worked consistently for the last week:

The webcam relies on Microsoft's ksthunk.sys and usbvideo.sys drivers to work.  I had installed the fresh USB2.0 Camera entry early yesterday but the ArcSoft webcam software [apparently] was somehow blocking it.  I remember removing the ArcSoft software yesterday afternoon and didn't observe any change to the device's status, but today it showed up as if nothing had ever happened.

So, to get your webcam back in order, first make sure ArcSoft webcam software has been removed from your laptop, just to be safe. Sony also published a Windows 8 64-bit removal routine that presumably takes care of the offending portion, but I haven't tested this out. 

Now, you'll need to install the >>> Microsoft <<< device driver(s) as follows:

1.  In Windows 8, got to the bottom left corner, right-click on the mini Start screen, and select Device Manager.

2.  In the top menu, click on View and select "Show hidden devices".

3.  Go to the Imaging [D]evices section and right-click on the grayed-out USB2.0 video entry (or the grayed-out entry that correponds to your internal webcam) and select "Update Driver Software".

4.  Select "Browse my computer for driver software".  Counterintuitive, but it's the right choice.

5.  Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

6.  Select Microsoft and USB Video Device.

Guillermo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I posted the following on Sony's customer support community.  This is the best solution at the moment.  My video camera has worked consistently for the last week:

The webcam relies on Microsoft's ksthunk.sys and usbvideo.sys drivers to work.  I had installed the fresh USB2.0 Camera entry early yesterday but the ArcSoft webcam software [apparently] was somehow blocking it.  I remember removing the ArcSoft software yesterday afternoon and didn't observe any change to the device's status, but today it showed up as if nothing had ever happened.

So, to get your webcam back in order, first make sure ArcSoft webcam software has been removed from your laptop, just to be safe. Sony also published a Windows 8 64-bit removal routine that presumably takes care of the offending portion, but I haven't tested this out. 

Now, you'll need to install the >>> Microsoft <<< device driver(s) as follows:

1.  In Windows 8, got to the bottom left corner, right-click on the mini Start screen, and select Device Manager.

2.  In the top menu, click on View and select "Show hidden devices".

3.  Go to the Imaging [D]evices section and right-click on the grayed-out USB2.0 video entry (or the grayed-out entry that correponds to your internal webcam) and select "Update Driver Software".

4.  Select "Browse my computer for driver software".  Counterintuitive, but it's the right choice.

5.  Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

6.  Select Microsoft and USB Video Device.

<hint>
What Sony is telling you is that the generic "Microsoft" driver is the best support for WIndows 8 you will get for said camera - as they do not and will not be supporting it under that Operating System.
</hint>

Hopefully that is one of the few components in that system not being supported directly by Sony for the Windows 8 they supposedly supported on that system. :-)

.-
Shenan Stanley
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 6, 2020 Views 28,531 Applies to: