USB Keeps disconnecting and reconnecting randomly even though the USB selective suspend is disabled Windows 8

My USB Keeps disconnecting and reconnecting randomly even though the USB selective suspend is disabled and the "allow the computer to turn this device off to save power" option in the device manager is unchecked as well. I even tried Super-Charger (people who have MSI Laptop might know) and nothing.

This problem occurs when i use an extension cable to get better signal for my HSPA modem.

Btw i should also point out that both USB 2.0 and 3.0 have the same issue.

My PC:
MSI Intel Core i7 4th gen 8 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 750m Windows 8

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that your USB keeps disconnecting.

This might have occurred due to hardware conflicts.

Try the Methods.

Method 1:

Run the Hardware Devices troubleshooter.

An automated troubleshooter is a tool that can find and automatically fix some problems with your computer. These troubleshooters aren't designed to fix every problem, but they're a useful tool to try because they can often save your time and effort.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.

b)       Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.

c)       In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.

d)       Click on “Hardware and Devices"

f)        Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Method 2:

Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. It will scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows. To run the SFC scan, refer to the Microsoft article below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

You may refer:

What if a device isn't installed properly?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-device-isnt-installed-properly

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

the troubleshooting method requires access to windows update and i cant do that right now (coz im using usb modem and internet is quite lousy, and btw it's the reason the usb is disconnecting coz apparently it is drawing too much power).
as for 2nd method i have refreshed windows more than three times coz i installed and modified too much that windows started having problems so i dont think a corrupt file is the problem here, but i went through it anyways and it detected some corrupt files but my USB problem wasnt solved

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

I suggest you to try to boot the computer in safe mode and check, Please refer to the below Microsoft article and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

the problem still persists even in safe mode, so u think this goes beyond services and stuff? (from what i know they r disabled in safe mode or at least most of them)

btw there is smth maybe i should tell u, this problem occurs when i use a USB extension cable (and some other devices that draw a bit too much power), and i have noticed that devices that need 500MA to power up are the ones that have this problem (mouse 100MA no problem, removable disk 350MA no problem) 

i hope this may help u getting me rid of this problem and thank u in advance

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

You may try this.

Try going to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options>Change Plan Setting>Change Advanced Power Settings>

Reference:

Install USB 3.0 and other USB devices

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/install-usb-3-usb-devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

if u r referring to disabling the "USB selective suspend" option by this "Try going to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options>Change Plan Setting>Change Advanced Power Settings>" i have already done it.

as for installing the USB 3.0 driver it says its up to date and my problem isnt with USB 3.0, its with all the USB ports and i have 2 USBs 3.0 and 2 USBs 2.0 (one of them is said to support apple charging devices and can provide up to 1500MA).

plz plz plz i need help i have tried everything i could find, everything. plz help me

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I would suggest you to update and install the latest Chipset drivers from the manufacturer’s website and check if that helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

so, i just discovered that this goes beyond windows and selective suspension coz i removed win 8 and installed win 7 and nothing changed, then i installed Ubuntu and the same problem kept occuring, so i restarted the PC and plugged in an external hard disk and it kept disconnecting/reconnecting like in windows (it makes sounds when it's connected)  so i knew then that the problem is in the  BIOS or smth.

so now i know this is out of ur concern but u can just help me or give me a tip (maybe u got across a problem like this before), should i update the BIOS, is it safe, is there anyway around.

ty for ur answers 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

You may try updating the BIOS but before that you may contact your manufactures or check the manual.

Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i have latest version of the BIOS, i think what i should do is downgrade it, can i do that safely?

btw, do u know anything about XHCI settings in the BIOS? coz when i disable it the USB stays a lil bit longer before it disconnects.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 25, 2020 Views 9,345 Applies to: