Touchpad freezes/cursor disappears on Windows 8.1

I have an HP Split x2 Ultrabook that I purchased a week ago.

I upgraded to Windows 8.1 recently. I have noticed that my touchpad freezes and my cursor no longer works, no matter how many times I click or try to revive it. If I then start using the touch screen, the cursor disappears altogether and does not come back. This happens completely randomly - sometimes every couple of hours, other times more than once an hour. It has nothing to do with how many programs I have open or how often I am using it.

I go to Device Manager to check the mouse/pointer, and it says the device is working correctly. It also says all available updates have been installed.

Sometimes it only lasts 10-15 seconds, other times I have to shut my computer and wait for about 30 seconds before opening it, and then the mouse will reappear.

The driver is dated 8/23/2013 and the version is 17.0.2.24

Just in case, here is the information on my computer:
Intel(R) Core i5-4202Y 1.60 GHz
4.00 GB RAM
64-bit operating system
|
Answer
Answer

this worked for me.

Go to Generic USB Hub (both of them) in Device Manager.

Go to the Power Management tab

Uncheck the box about allowing the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart.

My touch pad had stopped while searching for a solution. I "unchecked " the boxes and the touchpad came back to life before the restart. It has been working ever since. (three days)

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2021 Views 31,051 Applies to: