There's a problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and fix it.

Hi,

I've looked all over the web, and can't find a solution to this one. I have Windows 8 and get this error message every time I plug anything into my usb port: 

"There's a problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and fix it."

Whether it's my iPod, flash drive, any usb-I get this window in the upper right of the screen. Everything I plug in works and is fine, and there is no problems with the devices.  At least the window goes away in about 5-6 seconds. Still, it would be nice if it didn't show up at all. (It would also be nice to win the lottery, but I can't always have everything I want!)

Is there a way to not have this window pop up?

thanks,
Mark
Answer
Answer

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Microsoft forums where you can find answers to all your Windows related queries.

You have mentioned that you get an error message saying that there is an error in the drive whenever you plug in any external drive through USB. We’ll help you with this issue. Just a few questions first, to get a clear picture of the issue;

1)      Do you get an option to scan the drive? What happens when you scan the drive?

2)      Do you get this message even after scanning the drive?

This error message is usually displayed when there is an error in the drive. These errors could be some corrupted files. You will also get this message if you remove the USB drive abruptly without clicking “safely remove this device” from taskbar. I would suggest you try these steps and check

Method 1: Disk error checking

I would suggest you to perform a complete scan on these drives to check if there is any errors and check. Refer to these steps:

a)      In Windows explorer, right click the external drive

b)      Click on properties and click on the tools tab

c)       Click the check button under “error checking” to scan errors in the drive.

Important: Data available on bad sectors might be lost when windows tries to repair your hard disc.

Method 2:

I would also suggest you to uninstall the USB driver and restart the computer so that Windows will automatically detect and install the driver files once again. Refer these steps:

a)      Press Windows key +X, select Device manager

b)      Locate Universal serial bus controllers and expand it to find the USB ports

c)       Right click and select uninstall, repeat the same for all ports

d)      Now, restart the computer for Windows to detect and re-install the drivers.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we’d be happy to help.

193 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 29, 2020 Views 83,610 Applies to: