speaker kept making crackling noises on Dell Inspiron 3147

I got a new Dell Inspiron 3147 and the speaker kept making crackling noises so I exchanged it for a second unit. I'm still having the same problem. Starting to think it is the software/driver issue not hardware (or I am just unlucky)

It's like a static-y kind of noise when I listen to music or videos, very random, every 1 minute or so on average.

I ran the online Dell online diagnostics, did all the window updates and updated all the drivers but nothing seems to change. How do I fix this? Should I return it and get a third unit?

Thanks in advance.

suggested title: Dell Inspiron 3147 static/crackling noise

Question Info

Last updated September 4, 2018 Views 5,587 Applies to:
Answer

Hello JieunJ,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community Forum.

As per the description I understand that you are unable to use your speakers as they are producing distortion while you play music. The issue might be related with the hardware configuration or with the driver of the sound card. We need few more details to understand the cause of the issue better.

1. Have you made any hardware changes in your computer recently?

2. Is your speaker working on another computer?

I suggest you to try using the “Playing Audio” troubleshooter. It checks for common problems with your volume settings, your sound card or driver, and your speakers or headphones. Refer to the following steps to run the troubleshooter.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

1. Press Windows + R, type control panel and then click on ok.

2. Change the view by (from windows explorer) to large icons or small icons.

3. Click on Troubleshooting.

4. Now type Playing Audio in the search option.

5. Click on Playing Audio to run the troubleshooter.

Note: If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If the issue persists I suggest you to go through the following article based on Tips for fixing common sound problems:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Tips-for-fixing-common-sound-problems

Check column, "Sound from my speakers is crackling or distorted”.

Note: Holds good for windows 8 as well.

You can also run the diagnostic from dell website. Select Hardware, choose sound card, click on Run Diagnostic and follow the onscreen instructions:

Refer to the Link:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-11-3147-laptop/diagnose

If the issue still persists. Please try to reinstall the Audio Drivers:

Refer the following steps to update Audio Driver.

1. Press Windows + R and type control. Click ok.

2. Change the view by (from windows explorer) to large icons or small icons.

3. Double Click on Device Manager.

4. Expand Sound Video and game controller, double click on the available entry for sound.

5. Click the tab Driver, click Update Driver.

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Regards,

Shivam Kesarwani

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.