scroll bar box in windows 8 missing

Is there an updated driver for ATI Radeon HD 4250 on a Gateway NV53A laptop? My scroll bar box is not visible unless the mouse is over the slider box when I click.
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Steve,

Not necessarily a solution.  More a prompt for clarification.

Check with Gateway to see if they have an updated or Windows 8 driver for your ATI.

On the scroll bar, you need to perhaps tell us where you are in WIN8 when you have this issue.  Are you somewhere on the Start screen or in a WIN8 store-style app?  or are you somewhere on the Desktop side?

ie, where are you missing the "scroll bar" ?

BTW, When on the Start screen, if you move your mouse (or rather move (make a motion) on your mouse-touchpad  either right-ward or left-ward, the Start screen tiles will move correspondingly for you.  I now think this is what you referred to.

This is what is done when you do not have a touchscreen.

~ Maurice

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Maurice, 

Is there a way to keep the scroll bar up? When I'm on a site where I'm browsing and need to consistently move the scroll bar down, it goes away and when I just click on the arrow (that was there, and then disappears) it won't go down, I have to actually move my mouse, then bring it back to the down arrow on the scroll bar which shows up at this point. Is there a way to not have to physically move my mouse and just be able to continue hovering over the down arrow and still move down?

Can I permanently keep my scroll bar up?

Thank you!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Maurice... thought I was the only person to have a similar problem.  I googled forever it seems and couldn't find a fix for the problem.  Turns out it was the most recent Win8 update.  I uninstalled it and the normal scrollbar/ box came back.  This had affected not only Win8 but also every app installed.
See if this fixes it for you!!  Best, bob

=============

Maurice, 

Is there a way to keep the scroll bar up? When I'm on a site where I'm browsing and need to consistently move the scroll bar down, it goes away and when I just click on the arrow (that was there, and then disappears) it won't go down, I have to actually move my mouse, then bring it back to the down arrow on the scroll bar which shows up at this point. Is there a way to not have to physically move my mouse and just be able to continue hovering over the down arrow and still move down?

Can I permanently keep my scroll bar up?

Thank you!

Bob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bob,

So are you saying that the most recent Windows update broke the appearance? That's not very helpful is it?

I do find the scrollbar very badly designed in Windows Metro apps. Even core ones like the main app screen or Store app etc. First I can't see why the scrollbar is so difficult to spot! Can they not make it more prominent, diferent colour anything. It's not very obvious which is the scrollbar and which is the background? What happened to that little marker in the middle of the scrollbar?

Secondly is very annoying that the scrollbar disappears after 10 seconds of not using it. I understand that if you are using a tablet or a Windows PC with a touch screen then it doesn't matter cause you use the touch screen but for normal users it's very annoying.

Please Microsoft fix this, you can have a new theme or similar so people who want a more traditional windows theme can have an option. Options are good.

Thanks,

Panos.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Panos... I agree wholeheartedly.  I only use the Metro desktop on rare occasions, i.e. when needing to  make use of the search capability to reach settings.  My problems occurred in traditional desktop applications.  The Windows update which caused the problems does not universally cause the same problems since I have another laptop which survived just fine.  My gut feeling is that it may be an interaction with the video driver, but who knows?  Things have gotten way too complicated for us mere mortals to fully understand.
I have been testing Win8 since the first release and found it to have greatly improved boot times and a more snappy performance.  Metro, on the other hand, buys absolutely nothing for me as an old time desktop user.  I have numerous Android Tablets which I have tested and it now remains to be seen how Windows tablets will compare.  The price will have to drop substantially before I acquire one, however.
Best.... bob

=======================

Hi Bob,

So are you saying that the most recent Windows update broke the appearance? That's not very helpful is it?

I do find the scrollbar very badly designed in Windows Metro apps. Even core ones like the main app screen or Store app etc. First I can't see why the scrollbar is so difficult to spot! Can they not make it more prominent, diferent colour anything. It's not very obvious which is the scrollbar and which is the background? What happened to that little marker in the middle of the scrollbar?

Secondly is very annoying that the scrollbar disappears after 10 seconds of not using it. I understand that if you are using a tablet or a Windows PC with a touch screen then it doesn't matter cause you use the touch screen but for normal users it's very annoying.

Please Microsoft fix this, you can have a new theme or similar so people who want a more traditional windows theme can have an option. Options are good.

Thanks,

Panos.

Bob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

PS Just as an experiment I let the critical update run again and sure enough the scroll box disappeared again.  Removing the critical update once again restored it!!
bob
Bob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could anyone tell me which update exactly is the one that causes the side scroll bar to be pushed up under the screen edge?
Not having an easy accessible scroll is annoying to the max for regular pc users without a touch screen.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would like to know the update to remove too.  Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The disappearing scroll box is SUPER ANNOYING when doing repetitive scrolling, as when reading through, scanning, or editing a document or looking through anything. FIX THIS.  Add an option in settings to keep the scroll box open.  And here, I've been trying to find out how to "fix" this ever since I upgraded to Windows 10.  Come to find out this flaw is built in.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So glad I found this string.  ME Too.  This disappearing scroll bar is SOOOO ANNOYING. I've got Windows 10 now and as far as I know there's no fix.  So, we are just going to have to keep the pressure on Microsoft to fix this in a future update, none too soon.  They should just add an option in settings to keep the scroll bar open.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2021 Views 5,020 Applies to: